Learn how to dehydrate bananas in the air fryer! This air fryer banana chips recipe only takes 10-12 minutes at 350F (177C). Get my easy banana chips air fryer recipe, nutrition information, cooking tips, and more! You’re going to love air fried bananas for a gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo, plant-based, and vegan snack. They’re delicious chewy or air fry longer to make them crispy!
- 🍌 Air Fryer Banana Chips
- ➕ How to Make Banana Chips in Air Fryer
- ❤️ How to Serve Banana Chips Air Fryer Recipe
- ⭐ Air Fried Banana Chips Variations
- 🌡️ How to Store Air Fryer Banana Chips
- 📋 Homemade Banana Chips Calories
- 👨🍳 Other Banana Recipes
- 👩🏻🍳 More Air Fryer Snack Recipes
- 📖 Recipe
- 💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- 💬 Comments
🍌 Air Fryer Banana Chips
Sweet air fryer banana chips are one of my favorite easy snack recipes. They’re a great way to get the flavor of caramelized bananas without brown sugar.
And if you happen to be feeling a little more savory than sweet, don’t miss my post on Air Fryer Plantains. I’ll show you several ways to use starchy cooking bananas to make tasty plantain chips in the air fryer!
➕ How to Make Banana Chips in Air Fryer
What do you need to make bananas in an air fryer? All you need is a few simple ingredients!
- 1 banana (slightly green)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Cooking oil spray (non-aerosol)
Get a printable recipe card at the end of the post!
Slightly green raw banana is best here, as you can cut it into neat slices without being mushy. Freshly squeezed lemon juice tends to be more flavorful than bottled. If you don’t have a citrus squeezer, you can simply squeeze a lemon by hand.
You also need a knife and an air fryer. I love making air fryer recipes with my Kalorik Air Fryer Oven. You can use a Ninja Foodi, Philips, Nuwave, Pampered Chef, Actifry, Instant Pot Vortex, Cosori, Breville, or other brand for air frying banana chips. Keep in mind that cooking times may vary depending on the air fryer you’re using.
How to Dehydrate Bananas in an Air Fryer
Time to air fry banana chips! Here are the step-by-step instructions for dehydrating bananas in air fryer:
- Cut the banana into ⅛-¼-inch thick slices (0.3-0.6 cm). Try to make them uniformly thick, as this will help them cook more evenly.
- Put the banana slices in a single layer on a plate. Sprinkle them with half the lemon juice, then flip them over and sprinkle with the rest.
- Mist the air fryer basket or air fryer tray with cooking spray. Place the banana slices in a single layer on the tray. (You may need to cook them in batches if they don’t fit in a single layer.)
- Mist the banana slices with cooking spray. Sprinkle them with cinnamon and salt.
- Air fry bananas for 10-12 minutes at 350F (177C). (Use the top rack position for air fryer ovens.) The chips on the edges of the tray tend to brown faster than the ones in the middle, so take them out early if needed.
- After they’ve cooked, let cool completely before eating. They will continue to firm up more as they cool. Flip them over and air fry for 2-4 more minutes at 350F (177C) if they aren't crispy enough for you. Enjoy!
How long to dehydrate bananas in air fryer?
How long to air fry bananas? What temperature to air fry banana chips? It takes a total of 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177C) to cook bananas in the air fryer. Add 2-4 minutes to the cooking time if you’d like more crispy banana chips.
You do not need to preheat the air fryer or flip the banana chips during the first 10-12 minutes of cooking. If any are getting too brown during this time, feel free to remove them from the air fryer early. The chips on the edges of the tray tend to brown faster than the ones in the middle.
In this recipe, we’re dehydrating bananas in the air fryer in about 10-15 minutes time. You can experiment with using a lower air fryer banana chips temp, but the bananas might stay gooey and not crisp properly.
Why are my banana chips not crispy?
If your banana chips are not crispy, make sure the bananas aren’t overripe, and that they were sliced thin enough. If they’re still too soft and chewy for you, flip them over and air fry for 2-4 more minutes at 350F (177C). Watch them closely! They go from chewy to crisp to burnt quickly!
How do you dehydrate bananas in a ninja air fryer?
This air fryer recipe for bananas works in my Ninja air fryer too. The Ninja air fryer time and temp for bananas is 10-12 minutes at 350F (177C). Add more time as needed if you’d like to make your banana chips crispier.
❤️ How to Serve Banana Chips Air Fryer Recipe
What to make with bananas in the air fryer? Air fried banana chips are great by themselves as a snack, and there are so many other ways to use them.
You could also try air frying bananas and then serving them with vanilla ice cream. You’ll get all the flavors of a bananas foster dessert, but with less sugar added.
As you’ll see, the sweetness is intensified in cooked banana, making them the perfect way to satisfy a sweet tooth. I think you’re going to be amazed at how delicious this simple air fryer recipe is.
⭐ Air Fried Banana Chips Variations
We’re making air fryer banana chips with cinnamon, but feel free to substitute with turmeric powder, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, pumpkin spice, or another favorite spice in place of the cinnamon. You could also add a little vanilla or lime juice for another flavor variation.
While it’s possible to make air fryer banana chips no oil, I don’t recommend it. The tiny bit of spray oil here helps the bananas crisp up better, without making a big impact nutritionally. You can use olive oil spray, coconut oil, avocado oil, or whatever you’d prefer.
🌡️ How to Store Air Fryer Banana Chips
For the best texture, you should enjoy air fryer banana chips fresh. They make a small single person portion, so there should not be leftovers.
Air fryer banana chips don’t get as dried as they would in a dehydrator. Since they contain more moisture, they are not suitable for long-term storage or freezing.
📋 Homemade Banana Chips Calories
One serving of this banana air fryer recipe has 107 calories, 24.3 grams net carbs, and 1 gram protein.
To make baked banana chips, slice bananas thin and sprinkle with lemon juice. Put the slices in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Dry in an oven set to the lowest setting (170F/77C) until done to your liking, flipping the chips after 2-3 hours. It will take several hours; the chips will continue to crisp as they cool.
To make dehydrator banana chips, thinly slice the bananas and sprinkle with lemon juice. Put them on a single layer on your dehydrator trays and dry at 155F (68C) until done to your liking. It will take several hours. Check on them every hour or two to flip them.
Yes, you can dehydrate foods faster in an air fryer than a traditional dehydrator. That said, I recommend using a dehydrator or oven if drying foods for long term storage, since you need the slower and more thorough drying process.
You can avoid the troubles with deep frying bananas when you air fry bananas instead! If you must deep fry banana chips, make sure to not overcrowd the deep fryer with bananas. Fry bananas in batches if needed. I’ve also heard that adding a little salt in the cooking oil can help prevent sticking.
Dried banana chips are not the best snack choice for low carb and keto diets. In terms of general nutrition, baked banana chips offer fiber, potassium, and other nutrients found in bananas. Look for dried banana chips that were baked (not fried) with no sugar added if you want a healthier option.
👨🍳 Other Banana Recipes
Want more recipes using bananas? Try these next:
- Kodiak Cakes Banana Bread
- Vegan Banana Cookies
- Banana Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- Fruits that Start with B (with Recipe)
👩🏻🍳 More Air Fryer Snack Recipes
Looking for recipes for air fryer snacks? Here are some other air fryer recipes you may enjoy the next time you have the munchies:
Also, have you checked out our other Air Fryer Recipes?
Air Fryer Banana Chips (How to Dehydrate Bananas in Air Fryer)
- 1 medium banana (slightly green)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- cooking oil spray (non-aerosol)
- Cut the banana into ⅛-¼-inch thick slices (0.3-0.6 cm). Try to make them uniformly thick.
- Juice a lemon to get a teaspoon of juice, if you haven't. Put the banana slices in a single layer on a plate. Sprinkle them with half the lemon juice, then flip them over and sprinkle with the rest.
- Mist an air fryer tray with cooking spray. Place the banana slices in a single layer on the tray.
- Spray the banana slices with cooking spray. Sprinkle them with cinnamon and salt.
- Air fry bananas for 10-12 minutes at 350°F (177°C). (Use the top rack position for air fryer ovens.) The chips on the edges of the tray tend to brown faster than the ones in the middle, so take them out early if needed.
- After they’ve cooked, let cool completely before eating. They will continue to firm up more as they cool. Flip them over and air fry for 2-4 more minutes at 350°F (177°C) if they aren't crispy enough for you. Enjoy!