Can you air fry halibut? Absolutely! Cooking halibut in air fryer is easier than you might think! This air fryer halibut uses a gluten free, low carb, keto breading. You could make it a panko crusted halibut air fryer recipe as well. This recipe is for fresh air fried halibut fillets, but I’ll give you tips on air fryer frozen halibut too.
Psst, hey... want to know the best way to cook halibut?
This pork panko and Parmesan crusted halibut is crispy on the outside, while remaining moist, flavorful, and buttery inside. Best of all, cooking halibut fish is easier than you might think. That’s because we’re making halibut in the air fryer.
Air fryer halibut is the best halibut. Seriously.
This is a flaky breaded halibut in air fryer recipe. If you’d rather make an air fryer halibut recipe with no breading, you can do that too. Just substitute halibut for the fish in this frozen cod in air fryer recipe.
So, are you ready to learn how to cook halibut steak? Let’s do this thing!
- ⭐ Halibut Air Fryer Benefits
- 🥘 Air Fryer Halibut Ingredients
- 🧂 Seasoning for Halibut
- 🔪 How to Make Halibut (Air Fryer)
- ⏲️ Halibut Cooking Time and Temp
- ❓️ What is the internal temperature for halibut?
- 🌡️ How to Reheat Halibut
- 🥗 Halibut Side Dishes
- 📋Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
- 💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- 👨🏾🍳 Other Air Fryer Fish Recipes
- The Disclaimer…
- 📖 Recipe
⭐ Halibut Air Fryer Benefits
Why make halibut in an air fryer? Here are a few benefits of this recipe:
- No oil: With an air fryer, you can make crispy halibut without using gobs of cooking oil. Plus, there’s no messy oil splatters from deep frying to clean up.
- Low calorie: Halibut, like white fish, is a lean protein. It’s a great choice to create filling entrees if you have a weight loss goal.
- Low carb: Halibut and other seafood is also compatible with a variety of special diets. This fish recipe is gluten free, low carb, and keto.
- Crispy: Pork panko is our secret ingredient to make a crispy halibut topping. It also helps protect the fish fillets from becoming too dry in the air fryer.
- Fast: You can air fry halibut in only 10 minutes or less! That’s the time it would take to preheat the oven without cooking food.
- Delicious: Air fryer Parmesan halibut is a tasty way to help you meet the recommended two servings of seafood per week. It’s mild enough in flavor that even picky eaters may enjoy it.
🥘 Air Fryer Halibut Ingredients
Here’s your shopping list for halibut in the air fryer:
- Halibut filet
- Pork panko crumbs
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Dried basil leaves
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Cooking oil spray
Specific quantities of ingredients are located in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
Use a piece of halibut for this recipe that is skinless, boneless, and that is uniformly thick. The piece of halibut I used is ½-inch (1.27 cm) and was previously frozen. If your fish fillet is thin on the edges, the edges may overcook before the middle of the fish is done.
Pork panko is made of crushed pork rinds. It is my favorite low carb substitute for bread crumbs (in terms of taste and texture). Here is the brand I buy.
Always use a non-aerosol cooking spray with air fryers. Aerosol cooking sprays will damage the finish on some air fryer baskets or trays.
I tested this recipe with a 10-Quart Kalorik Digital Air Fryer Oven. You can make air fryer halibut in a Ninja Foodi, Philips, Nuwave, Pampered Chef, Actifry, Instant Pot Vortex, Cosori, Breville, or another air fryer.
Cooking times may need to be adjusted depending on the air fryer you use. Always check the food early the first time you try any new air fryer recipe.
You should also have an instant read thermometer on hand to check the halibut for doneness.
🧂 Seasoning for Halibut
There are so many ways to season halibut, and it’s great with a variety of toppings. For example, you could make cashew-crusted halibut (or try crushed pistachios or pecans). Here are some other ideas for seasoning halibut:
- Blackened halibut with Cajun seasoning
- Lemon pepper
- Italian seasoning
- Make a dry rub with chili powder or taco seasoning
- Fresh garlic
- Onion powder
If you change up the recipe, keep in mind that can impact the air fryer time.
🔪 How to Make Halibut (Air Fryer)
Time to learn how to air fry halibut! Begin by mixing together the panko, Parm, basil, and garlic powder. Set it aside for later.
Place the halibut fish on an air fryer tray. Mist it with cooking spray and sprinkle with black pepper. If you have an air fryer oven, place the tray in the top rack position (closest to the heating element).
⏲️ Halibut Cooking Time and Temp
How long to cook halibut in the air fryer? What's the air fryer halibut temperature?
Air fry halibut for a total of 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190C). After air frying for 5 minutes, flip the halibut over, spritz with more oil, and carefully press the panko crumbs into the top. Air fry the crumbed halibut for the final 3-5 minutes.
Be sure to check the fish often towards the end of cooking. White fish overcooks easily in general, and the risk is even higher in an air fryer.
Check the fish with a meat thermometer at the end of cooking to ensure it is 135-140F (57-60C). Add additional cooking time if needed.
Allow the fish to rest for 5 minutes. The temperature should continue to increase during this time to reach the minimum safe temp.
❓️ What is the internal temperature for halibut?
The minimum safe internal temp for halibut is 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63C). Halibut that is fully cooked is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
🌡️ How to Reheat Halibut
This recipe makes a single serving and is best prepared and enjoyed fresh. You can keep cooked halibut in a covered container in the fridge for up to 1-2 days. It can be reheated in the air fryer or the microwave.
I don’t recommend freezing this recipe, as the panko coating loses its crispiness when thawed.
🥗 Halibut Side Dishes
What goes with halibut? The last time I made this recipe, I served it with broccoli, wild rice, and lemon wedges. For a different spin, you could also make air fryer halibut tacos.
Here are some other side dishes for halibut:
- Peach Pineapple Salsa (or another fresh fruit salsa)
- Costco Cauliflower Rice
- Frozen Green Beans in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Frozen Vegetables
📋Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
One serving of air fryer halibut has 245 calories, 0.1 grams net carbs, and 41.3 grams protein.
💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 2 recipe (transition or weight maintenance). Halibut is a white fish, which means that it is a lean protein. The advantage of white fish is that they are lower in calories and fat than oily fish (such as salmon). The disadvantage is that white fish also tends to be lower in the healthy omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA.
Six ounces of plain halibut (no breading) provides 160 calories and is packed with filling protein. Breading halibut with crushed pork rinds and cheese adds nearly 100 calories per serving. If you want to serve halibut in a lighter way, I recommend skipping the breading.
Unfortunately, plain white fish (including halibut) tends to be pretty bland and boring in the taste department. Adding seasonings, such as lemon pepper, Cajun spice, or Italian seasoning can liven things up for few to no calories. A squeeze of lemon is another low calorie way to add more flavor to fish.
Please note that you may need to modify the cooking times in this recipe if you make halibut no breading. The panko provides a layer of protection to help keep the fish from drying out.
To make air fryer frozen halibut, swap the cod for halibut in my air fryer frozen cod recipe. Make sure the fish fillets are about ½-inch thick (1.27 cm), and the cooking time should be similar.
Yes, you can make deep fried battered halibut, and it is delicious. Halibut is great for fish and chips. However, for a healthier option with less oil, I recommend air frying halibut instead.
Other white fish, such as flounder and cod, are the best halibut substitutes. Try to match the fish fillet thickness mentioned in the recipe you’re using. That way, you shouldn’t have to make major adjustments to the cooking time.
The answer to this one is subjective, but I think halibut is heavenly in the air fryer! It’s a hearty, meaty fish that is very satisfying. Just be careful not to overcook it with the dry heat of the air fryer. You want it to remain moist.
The cost of halibut tends to be high, and it can (sometimes) be difficult to find in stores. You can get halibut online at Whole Foods through Amazon here. At the time of writing, fresh halibut costs $29.99 per pound.
👨🏾🍳 Other Air Fryer Fish Recipes
Enjoyed the halibut recipes air fryer ideas and looking for more? Here's how to cook other types of fish in the air fryer:
Also, be sure to check out our entire collection of Air Fryer Recipes. Find out why hundreds of thousands of other readers have developed the air fryer obsession!
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be wildly inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
For more information on how the three recipe levels may help with a weight management goal, refer to my overnight oats no sugar post. Let's get cooking!
Air Fryer Halibut Recipe (Time and Temp)
- Mix together the panko, Parmesan cheese, basil, and garlic powder. Set it aside for later.
- Place the halibut fish on an air fryer tray. Mist it with cooking spray and sprinkle with black pepper. If you have an air fryer oven, place the tray in the top rack position (closest to the heating element).
- Air fry halibut for a total of 8-10 minutes at 375°F (190°C). After air frying for 5 minutes, flip the halibut over, spritz with more oil, and carefully press the panko crumbs into the top. Air fry the crumbed halibut for the final 3-5 minutes.
- Check the fish with a meat thermometer at the end of cooking to ensure it is 135-140°F (57-60°C). Add additional cooking time if needed. Allow the fish to rest for 5 minutes before serving. The temperature should continue to increase during this time to reach the minimum safe temp of 145°F (63°C).