Can you cook frozen cod in air fryer? Yes! You don’t need to defrost frozen cod when you make this air fryer cod fish (no breading). If you’re looking for a light and low calorie air fryer recipe, this air fryer frozen cod is for you. You’ll love how easy it is to make this flaky fish for a tasty seafood dinner.
Looking for a low effort AND healthy dinner? Look no further! This frozen cod air fryer recipe is just what you need.
Cod is a white fish with a much milder flavor than oily fishes like salmon and sardines. That means it may be more readily accepted by the picky eaters in your family.
Though cod has less omega-3 fats than oily fish, it still counts towards your seafood intake. And that’s a very good thing, considering most of us in the U.S. are not meeting recommendations for fish.
This cod dinner is also great for novice cooks. If your fish breaks apart in the air fryer, no one will know. I’m providing a delicious salsa for fish recipe that will hide the evidence.
Frozen cod fillets in the air fryer have become a regular part of my dinner menu rotation. I hope this recipe becomes an everyday meal in your family as well!
⭐ Frozen Cod in Air Fryer
To air fry frozen cod fillets, put these ingredients on your shopping list:
- 2 frozen cod fillets (4-5 ounces or 113-142 grams each)
- Cooking spray (olive oil)
- ¼-½ teaspoon cod seasoning (optional; Old Bay, salt and pepper, or your favorite)
Get a printable recipe card below!
My most important tip for recipe success is to use cod fillets that are ½-inch (1.27 cm) thick. Ideally, the fillets should be uniformly thick, with no extra thick middles and thin edges. This is the best way to ensure even cooking.
If you use pieces of fish that are too thick (1-inch/2.54 cm or so), they will dry out before reaching a safe temperature. So don’t use thick cuts of fish here! Cod loins are typically cut from the fattest middle section of the fillet and may be too thick for this recipe.
It's easiest to use cod fillet pieces that have been individually packaged. That way there will be no issues with them sticking together frozen. (If they are frozen together, we’re going to use the air fryer to help defrost them before cooking through.)
If you have fresh cod that you’re not planning to cook for a day or two, freeze it and use it in this recipe. Freeze the fish in a single non-touching layer so that the pieces don’t stick together.
You can also make frozen cod bites in the air fryer instead of fillets. Keep in mind that air frying times will be shorter with smaller pieces of fish.
You can make frozen cod in the air fryer with a Ninja Foodi, Philips, Cosori, Instant Vortex, Cuisinart, Pampered Chef Air Fryer, Actifry, Nuwave, Power Air Fryer, etc. However, you may need to adjust the cooking time for air frying frozen cod depending on your air fryer.
➕ How to Cook Frozen Cod in Air Fryer
To make air fried frozen cod, follow these step-by-step directions:
- Put the frozen cod pieces in your air fryer basket or tray in a single layer. Don’t rinse the frozen fish fillets, this can leave them waterlogged. If you have an air fryer oven, put the tray in the top rack position.
- If some of the pieces are stuck together at the edges, that is OK. Air fry for 4 minutes at 350F (175C). This first step in the air fryer will thaw them out so they can be separated.
- Next, flip the fish, mist with cooking oil spray, and sprinkle half the seasoning over the top of the fish. Fold any thin edges under so they don’t dry out. Air fry for 7 minutes at 375F (190C).
- Flip the cod once more, mist with more cooking spray, and sprinkle with the rest of the seasoning. Air fry for 1-8 more minutes at 375F (190C), until the cod reaches the minimum safe internal temperature of 145F (63C) using a meat thermometer. (I tested this recipe in 3 air fryers, this was the air fryer timing difference I found.) Serve with the optional cod topping in the recipe card and enjoy.
️⏲ Frozen Cod Air Fryer Cooking Time and Temperature
How long does frozen cod take in air fryer? What temp to make frozen cod in an air fryer? Air fry frozen cod for 4 minutes at 350F (175C). Then air fry for an additional 8-15 minutes at 375F (190C), flipping halfway through cooking time.
We air fry cod from frozen at a lower temperature than we did with air fryer frozen salmon. We need to be extra careful with our cod because it can dry out and become overcooked fast. We’re starting the fish at 350F (175C) to thaw it a little and make it easier for oil to stick.
🌡️ Air Fryer Frozen Cod Leftovers
Leftover air fried cod can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for 1-2 days. However, it’s best to just cook the amount of cod you’ll eat so there are no leftovers.
You can reheat cooked cod that was refrigerated in the air fryer or on the stovetop. Try air frying the cod for 4-5 minutes at 350F (175C), just until heated. Cod can be reheated on the stovetop in a pan with a little oil.
🥗 How to Serve Air Fryer Frozen Cod
What to serve with cod fillets? Fruit salsas are wonderful on plain codfish fillets. I’m sharing a favorite in the recipe card, but here are some other ideas for fish toppings:
- Substitute for Salsa Recipe
- Peach Pineapple Salsa
- Low Calorie Salsa for Weight Loss
- Carrot Leaves Recipe for Pesto
Instead of using salsa, you could go heavier on seasoning the fish. Try lemon pepper, dill, Cajun seasoning, blackened cod, Old Bay seasoning, or serve with garlic butter, parsley, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
For cod side dishes, I like to add a starch (usually rice) and some non-starchy veggies to my meal. An Accompaniment Salad (garden salad) or Air Fryer Frozen Vegetables would be perfect. Alternatively, make fish tacos or sandwiches with these air fryer frozen fish fillets.
Does frozen cod need to be thawed before cooking?
You do not need to thaw frozen cod before cooking. It is perfectly safe to cook cod from frozen as long as you follow a few food rules. First, the cod should not be in the food safety danger zone (40-140F/4.4-60C) for more than 2 hours. Second, cod should be cooked to a minimum safe internal temp of 145F (63C).
How do you know when cod is cooked?
Fish that is cooked properly flakes easily with a fork and is opaque instead of translucent. The most important thing, however, is that the cod has reached a safe internal temp of 145F (63C). Use a meat thermometer to check the fillets!
How to keep cod from sticking to the air fryer basket?
You have lots of options to keep cod from sticking to the air fryer! You can use cooking oil spray on your air fryer trays. Air fryer parchment paper and silicone liners for the air fryer are some other options. (Make sure to get the right sized liners for your fryer!)
How do you air fry Gorton’s frozen cod fillets?
To make frozen battered fish in air fryer (like Gorton’s), follow these instructions: frozen fish in air fryer.
How to make Instant Pot frozen cod?
Put 2 cups of water in bottom of pot. Put cod on steamer rack over water. Pressure cook on high for 5-8 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fillets). Check to ensure the fish reached the safe temp of 145F (63C) when done cooking.
👩🏻🍳 More Cod Recipes
Want more ways to cook cod? Now that you’ve made frozen fish in air fryer with no breading, here are some more recipes using cod for you:
Watch How to Make It!
Frozen Cod in Air Fryer Recipe
- 8-10 ounces frozen cod 227-283 grams total; two ½-inch (1.27 cm) thick fillets
- cooking spray
- ¼-½ teaspoon cod seasoning (optional; Old Bay, salt and pepper, or your favorite)
- 1 recipe cod topping (optional but HIGHLY recommended, see recipe notes)
- Place the frozen cod pieces in a single layer on your air fryer tray or in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry the cod for 4 minutes at 350°F (175°C). (Use the top rack position if you have an air fryer oven.) Then flip the cod, mist with cooking spray, and sprinkle half the seasoning over the top of the fish. Fold any thin edges under so they don’t dry out. Air fry for 7 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
- Flip the cod once more, mist with more cooking spray, and sprinkle with the rest of the seasoning. Air fry for 1-8 more minutes at 375°F (190°C). (I tested this recipe in 3 air fryers, this was the air fryer timing difference I found.)
- Check the cod with a meat thermometer to ensure it reached a minimum safe internal temperature of 145°F (63°C). Add cooking time if needed. Serve with the optional topping (recipe below).
- Note: Using ½-inch (1.27 cm) thick cod pieces is very important for this recipe! Your cod may not cook properly if it is too thick.
💭 Expert Tips from a DietitianThis is a level 1 recipe (may help support fat loss). This cod fish is a healthy air fryer recipe that’s low calorie and packed with lean protein. It’s a great start for a high-volume and filling meal that can support a healthy weight. Adding lots of low-oil non-starchy veggies to your plate gives you a substantial portion of food for very few calories. It also cooks quickly, is versatile, tasty, and naturally gluten free, low carb, keto, pescatarian, and Whole 30 compliant. In short, this easy entrée has a lot of benefits, depending on what you’re looking for. If chopping a bunch of fruit is too much work right now, serve the cod with fruit salsa from the store. Most grocery stores have an abundance of ready-made salsas that would go well with fish. (That said, you get a lot more options for fruit combos when you make your own!) Finally, if you're looking for sustainable seafood options when shopping, don’t miss the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch List. They are a great resource if you’d like to learn more about environmentally friendly seafood choices.
🐟 Cod Topping RecipeIf you’ll be making this topping for fish, make it while the fish air fries. Keep it in the fridge until serving time.
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- ½ medium peeled and chopped Champagne mango (about 4 ounces/113 grams)
- 1 medium kiwi, peeled and diced
- ¼-½ jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
nutrition info disclaimer
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
Hello! I'm Summer, a registered dietitian and home chef who loves to cook, eat, and create high quality content for you! Every recipe on this site has been tested by me to help ensure your success in the kitchen. All eaters are welcome here 🙂