Can I put frozen spring rolls in air fryer? You bet! Learn how long do spring rolls take in an air fryer and much more. Crispy air fryer frozen spring rolls are a fast appetizer or snack that the whole family loves. Get directions for this easy air fryer recipe that takes less than 10 minutes, with no messy clean up!
If egg rolls and spring rolls are your favorites when you get takeout Chinese food, today’s post is for you. We’re making air fryer spring rolls, an easy method for cooking spring rolls from frozen.
Before we begin though, I wanted to discuss the differences between egg rolls versus spring rolls.
Spring rolls typically have a thin wrapper made of rice paper or flour. Spring rolls may be served fresh, baked, or fried.
Egg rolls have a doughy wrapper that may or may not contain egg. Egg rolls are typically fried.
Lumpia is the name for a type of spring roll found in the Philippines and Indonesia. It may be served fresh or fried, and has an assortment of meat and vegetable fillings.
Because they are all so similar, you can use the recipe below to air fry frozen lumpia, make frozen mini spring rolls in air fryer, or cook frozen egg rolls. Just make sure to start with small frozen rolls (not the big, thick egg rolls).
If the spring rolls or lumpia look dry, you can mist them with cooking spray. Otherwise, skip it.
So, grab your favorite frozen spring rolls from Costco or another store, and let’s do this. This is the best way to cook frozen spring rolls and make them crispy!
- 📋Calories in Spring Rolls
- ⭐ Frozen Spring Rolls Air Fryer Benefits
- 🥘 Frozen Spring Rolls Ingredients
- 🔪 How to Make Frozen Spring Rolls (Air Fryer)
- ⏲️ How long to cook frozen spring rolls in air fryer?
- 🌡️ How to Reheat Spring Rolls in Air Fryer
- 💭 Are frozen spring rolls healthy?
- 👨🏾🍳 Other Air Fryer Appetizer Recipes
- 📖 Recipe
- Homemade Spring Rolls Recipe
- 💬 Comments
📋Calories in Spring Rolls
The nutrition information for frozen spring rolls depends on the brand that you use. If you make a frozen vegetable spring rolls air fryer recipe with Spring Valley brand, you get 170 calories, 23 grams net carbs, and 4 grams protein per 4 spring rolls. Feel Good Foods vegetable egg rolls have 100 calories, 19 grams net carbs, and 2 grams protein per egg roll.
There are 226 calories in a Vietnamese spring roll with peanut sauce (see my recipe in the notes in the recipe card). Though the calories in homemade shrimp spring rolls with peanut sauce is higher than spring rolls from the store, you get more veggies and other whole foods. The calorie information by itself doesn’t give you the complete picture when it comes to the nutritional value of a food.
Here is the nutrition information for some popular spring roll brands (per serving, as listed on the packaging):
|Brand||Calories||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|Minh Egg Rolls|
Nutrition information was correct at the time of writing and is subject to change.
⭐ Frozen Spring Rolls Air Fryer Benefits
Why make frozen spring rolls in air fryer? Here are a few benefits of this recipe:
- Less oil: You use much less oil air frying than deep frying. You’ll save money on added oils and save calories nutritionally. The spring rolls turn out crisp without being greasy.
- Easy clean up: Since we’re not frying, the cleanup is easy. There are no messy oil splatters to deal with. The only thing to clean is the air fryer basket or tray.
- Crispy: The wrapper of your air fryer spring roll or egg roll will come out crispy and brown with this cooking method.
- Fast: It only takes 7-8 minutes to air fry spring rolls. Though we’re preheating the air fryer in this recipe, it only takes about half as much time as preheating the oven.
- Delicious: Spring rolls are tasty and loved by most. They are welcomed as an afterschool snack, at potlucks, or as a quick game day appetizer.
🥘 Frozen Spring Rolls Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make frozen spring rolls in an air fryer:
- Small frozen spring rolls or mini egg rolls
- Cooking oil spray
- Spring roll dipping sauce
The brand you use can impact the results of this recipe. Fat egg rolls and spring rolls will have a longer cooking time. This recipe works best with cocktail-size spring rolls or mini egg rolls.
Choose a non-aerosol cooking spray. Some report that aerosol cooking sprays have damaged the finish on their air fryers.
I like sweet chili sauce or keto peanut sauce with egg rolls. You could also use sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce, Chinese hot mustard, or duck sauce for dipping.
I tested this recipe with a 10-Quart Kalorik Digital Air Fryer Oven and an Okaysou Air Fryer. You can make air fryer spring rolls in a Ninja Foodi, Philips, Nuwave, Pampered Chef, Actifry, Instant Pot Vortex, Cosori, Breville, or another air fryer. Keep in mind that cooking times may need to be adjusted depending on the air fryer you use.
You may also want to have an instant read thermometer on hand to check for doneness. Most frozen spring rolls and frozen egg rolls should be cooked to a safe temp of 165F (74C). This includes spring rolls with vegetable fillings in addition to meat and poultry fillings.
🔪 How to Make Frozen Spring Rolls (Air Fryer)
Preheat the air fryer to 400F (200C) for 5 minutes.
Carefully place the frozen spring rolls on a hot air fryer tray or in the air fryer basket. Cook them in one layer, this gives them space to crisp on all sides and cook through. I was able to fit the entire box of spring rolls on my air fryer tray.
Mist them with cooking spray. If you have an air fryer oven, place the tray in the top rack position (closest to the heating element).
⏲️ How long to cook frozen spring rolls in air fryer?
What is the air fryer frozen spring rolls time? What temperature to air fry spring rolls?
Air fry frozen spring rolls for a total of 7-8 minutes in an air fryer preheated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200C). Flip the spring rolls halfway through cooking time, misting them with more oil if they look dry.
After cooking, you can check to ensure they reached a minimum safe temp of 165F (74C) with a meat thermometer. Add additional cooking time if needed. This is especially important if the spring rolls have a meat or poultry filling.
🌡️ How to Reheat Spring Rolls in Air Fryer
To reheat leftover spring rolls, air fry at 350F (177C) for 3 minutes. You don’t have to preheat the air fryer first. Use the top rack position if you have an air fryer oven.
It’s best to make spring rolls fresh, only air frying what you’re going to eat. That said, you can keep leftover cooked spring rolls in the fridge in a covered container for up to 2-3 days. You can also reheat spring rolls in the microwave, but they will lose their crispy goodness.
💭 Are frozen spring rolls healthy?
This is a level 3 recipe (weight maintenance and active lifestyles). Frozen spring rolls from the store are an ultra-processed food that contains a lot of white flour. Additionally, they are often fried, making them a sub-optimal choice for weight loss.
Some frozen spring rolls are high in sodium and fat, though not all are. Check the nutrition label of the product you’re buying to make sure it fits your dietary needs.
IMVHO, homemade fresh spring rolls always win out compared to deep-fried spring rolls and egg rolls. There’s something about the colors and textures of a fresh spring roll that always draws me in. If this sounds good to you too, don’t miss the healthy spring rolls recipe in the recipe card below!
How to cook frozen spring rolls in oven?
Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Place the frozen spring rolls in a baking pan in a single layer. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until a safe internal temp of 165F (74C) is reached. Large frozen egg rolls and spring rolls can take up to 20-24 minutes.
How to fry frozen spring rolls?
To deep fry frozen spring rolls, preheat the deep fryer to 375F (191C). Deep fry frozen spring rolls for 4-6 minutes, until they reach an internal temp of 165F (74C). Blot spring rolls with paper towels to remove excess oil before serving.
What are the best frozen spring rolls?
IMVHO the best frozen spring rolls are the ones you enjoy that also fit your budget and dietary needs. Frozen spring rolls aren’t the most healthy or nutritious option out there. If I’m having a treat, my priority is that it is enjoyable.
Are air fryer spring rolls vegan?
Many air fryer spring rolls and egg rolls contain egg, and are not vegan. Ling Ling mini vegetable spring rolls at BJ’s are frozen vegan spring rolls. Lucky Foods has vegan spring rolls as well as gluten free options. Check the label of the product you’re buying for the current nutrition info.
Why aren’t my spring rolls cooked through?
Some factors that impact spring roll cooking time include the size of the spring rolls, the air fryer you use, and whether you preheated the air fryer. This air fryer recipe is for thin, small spring rolls or egg rolls in a preheated air fryer.
👨🏾🍳 Other Air Fryer Appetizer Recipes
Still hungry? Here are a few more ideas for appetizers in the air fryer:
- Air Fryer Pot Stickers
- Keto Mozzarella Sticks (Air Fryer)
- Frozen Chicken Wings in Air Fryer
- Ore Ida Tater Tots (Air Fryer)
- Totino's Pizza Rolls (Air Fryer)
Don’t miss our collection of Best Frozen Foods for the Air Fryer as well!
Watch How to Make It!
Frozen Spring Rolls in Air Fryer (Frozen Mini Egg Rolls, Lumpia)
- 1 package frozen spring rolls
- cooking oil spray (non-aerosol)
- dipping sauce of choice (optional)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for 5 minutes.
- Carefully place the frozen spring rolls on a hot air fryer tray or in the air fryer basket. Cook them in one layer, this gives them space to crisp on all sides and cook through. I was able to fit the entire box of spring rolls on my air fryer tray.
- Mist the spring rolls with cooking spray. If you have an air fryer oven, place the tray in the top rack position (closest to the heating element).
- Air fry frozen spring rolls for a total of 7-8 minutes in an air fryer preheated to 400°F (200°C). Flip the spring rolls halfway through cooking time, misting them with more oil if they look dry.
- After cooking, you can check to ensure they reached a minimum safe temp of 165°F (74°C) with a meat thermometer. Add additional cooking time if needed. Serve with dipping sauce of choice.
Homemade Spring Rolls Recipe
- 7 rice paper wrappers
- 1.4 ounces rice vermicelli, rehydrated (40 grams)
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, tail-off, peeled, cooked (227 grams)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cucumber, cut into matchsticks (9.5 ounces/269 grams)
- 25-30 fresh basil leaves
- 25-30 fresh mint leaves
- keto peanut sauce
To make spring rolls:
- Have all of your ingredients prepped and ready before you begin assembling the spring rolls. Cook the vermicelli according to the package directions. You should also cook the shrimp, cut the carrots and cucumber, and wash and dry the herbs. Fill a bowl with warm water, but don't soak the rice paper yet.
- Find a non-stick surface to assemble your spring rolls. I highly recommend using a sushi mat.
- Soak your first rice paper in the bowl of water for the length of time specified on the package. Mine needed to soak for five seconds. Only soak one piece of rice paper at a time, right before you plan to fill it.
- Lay the rice paper out on the sushi mat and layer the ingredients in this order: 3-4 shrimp, 1/7 of the vermicelli, 1/7 of the carrots and cucumbers, and 3-4 leaves each of the basil and mint.
- Fold the top and bottom of the rice paper inward to cover some of the filling. Now tightly fold the right side of the wrap over the filling. Finally, tuck any loose filling firmly into the wrapper and fold the final side over. (Watch the video below to see how the spring rolls are filled and wrapped closed.)
- Repeat for the remaining six spring rolls. If your rice paper tears too easily, try soaking the rice paper for less time. It should be flexible but still have some firmness to it. Use a double layer of rice paper if you've accidentally soaked it for too long and it has become fragile.
- Serve the spring rolls with the peanut sauce. Enjoy!
nutrition info disclaimer
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
Hello! I'm Summer, a registered dietitian and home chef who loves to cook, eat, and create high quality content for you! Every recipe on this site has been tested by me to help ensure your success in the kitchen. All eaters are welcome here 🙂