Learn how to make air fryer Parmesan crisps! These keto Parmesan crisps are an easy one ingredient recipe. Aside from being nearly carb-free, these high protein chips are delicious and inexpensive to make. You’ll love how this Parmesan cheese crisps recipe has crispy edges and a (very slightly) softer center. They're a super low carb snack or appetizer, and a healthy alternative to potato chips.
🧀 Air Fryer Parmesan Crisps
These Parmesan crisps are based on a traditional Italian appetizer called frico. In their simplest form, they’re thin cheese crisps that are naturally keto-friendly. This Parmesan crisps air fryer recipe combines those tasty Old World flavors with the modern convenience of air frying. It’s the best!
What are Parmesan crisps made of?
What do you need to make this Parmesan chips air fryer recipe? Here is the ingredients list:
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (shredded Parmesan cheese or shaved Parmesan cheese)
Get a printable recipe card below!
That’s it for ingredients! You could also add some salt, black pepper, garlic powder, dried herbs, or your favorite seasoning. Don't use grated Parmesan cheese here, as it tends to blow around more in the air fryer.
I tested making homemade air fryer cheese crisps on parchment paper and in a small metal muffin tin. I recommend making Parmesan crisps in a muffin tin for the best texture. The crisps made on parchment didn’t hold their shape as well, stayed too soft, and some melted together.
Here is the muffin tin I use that fits in my air fryer oven. If your air fryer is too small to fit a muffin tin, I am providing oven directions too. You can make this parmesan crisps recipe in a Ninja Foodi, Philips, Nuwave, Pampered Chef, Actifry, Instant Pot Vortex, Cosori, Breville, etc. But you may need to adjust cooking time or temp depending on the air fryer you use.
➕ How to Make Parmesan Crisps in Air Fryer
Here are the step-by-step directions to make air fryer Parmesan crisps:
- Place about 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese in each compartment of a small metal muffin tin. Cheese contains a lot of fat, so you don’t need to use cooking oil spray first.
- Put the muffin tin in the air fryer and air fry for 4-6 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200C), or until the edges crisp up and become golden brown. You don’t need to preheat the air fryer first. (Air fryer ovens: use top rack.) Season them after air frying, if desired.
- Let the Parmesan crisps cool for 3-5 minutes; they’ll continue to firm up in the middles. Then remove them from the muffin tin (use a butter knife if needed), blot any excess oil with a paper towel, and enjoy.
Oven directions: Preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Line a dark baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 2 tablespoon heaps of Parmesan on the prepared baking tray, evenly spaced apart.
Bake cheese chips for 7-8 minutes in the top third of the preheated oven. After baking, remove the parm crisps from the oven and let them cool for at least 5-10 minutes.
You should be able to remove them easily from the muffin tin or parchment paper once they have cooled adequately. It may be tempting, but please don't try to grab a crisp right after removing them from the oven. The cheese is sizzling and needs time to firm up!
Watch How to Make It!
Air Fryer Parmesan Crisps (Keto Protein Crisps Recipe)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese (shredded parmesan cheese or shaved parmesan cheese)
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- Place about 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese in each compartment of a small metal muffin tin.
- Put the muffin tin in the air fryer and air fry for 4-6 minutes at 400℉ (200°C), or until the edges crisp up and become golden brown. You don’t need to preheat the air fryer first. (Air fryer ovens: use top rack.) Season them after air frying, if desired.
- Let the Parmesan crisps cool for 3-5 minutes; they’ll continue to firm up as they cool. Then remove them from the muffin tin (use a butter knife if needed), blot any excess oil with a paper towel, and enjoy.
💭 Expert Tips from a DietitianThis is a level 1 recipe (may help support fat loss). Are Parm crisps a healthy snack? I do consider Parmesan crisps to be a nutritional win over your standard potato chip. One ounce of regular potato chips provides approximately 150 calories and 2 grams of protein. In comparison, 1 ounce of these cheese crisps is about 118 calories with 11 grams of protein. Plus, Parmesan crisps are an excellent source of calcium and kids love them! Parmesan also supplies a variety of other essential vitamins and minerals. This includes riboflavin, vitamin B12, vitamin K, magnesium, and phosphorus. That said, if you know you have a propensity to overeat cheese, this might not be the best snack option for you. One factor that can stall weight loss in those following ketogenic or low-carb diets is the overconsumption of cheese and nuts. These foods pack a lot of calories into a small volume. Even if you are not explicitly counting calories, you still need to maintain a calorie deficit to lose weight. It can be useful to know which items are more energy-dense if you have a weight loss goal, regardless of your dietary approach. Nutrition information is for one serving of the recipe.
nutrition info disclaimer
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
What is the shelf life of Parmesan crisps?
You can technically store Parmesan crisps in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days or freeze them. However, this recipe is easy to scale up or down, so I highly recommend making them fresh. If you let them sit too long, the crisps can pick up moisture in the air and become soggy.
How do you eat Parmesan crisps?
Parmesan crisps are great on top of a salad, or you can snack on them with your favorite dipping sauce like salsa, marinara sauce, or guacamole. I like to think of these high protein chips as a healthy substitute for croutons.
Do Parmesan crisps have carbs?
Though most Parmesan crisps do have carbohydrates, they are a negligible amount (per Cronometer). This Parmesan crisp recipe makes crisps with <1 gram of carb per crisp.
👩🍳 More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Taco Meat
- Air Fryer Radishes
- Soup in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Duck Legs
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
👨🍳 More Keto Recipes
- Chorizo Stuffed Zucchini
- Keto Blueberry Smoothie
- Diet Lemonade Recipe
- Cloud Bread with Greek Yogurt
- Ground Turkey Jerky Recipe
- Keto Deviled Eggs
- Keto Egg Salad Recipe
Hello! I'm Summer, a registered dietitian and home chef who loves to cook, eat, and create high quality content for you! Every recipe on this site has been tested by me to help ensure your success in the kitchen. All eaters are welcome here 🙂