How long to cook roast lamb in air fryer? Air fryer lamb roast needs 30-60 minutes in the air fryer. The cooking time for lamb depends on the size of the roast. Learn what is the best temperature to roast lamb, and get tips on how to cook lamb in air fryer. You’ll love this protein-packed air fryer roast lamb that’s naturally low carb, keto, and gluten free.
Can you put a leg of lamb in the air fryer? You bet, and the results are amazing!
This roast lamb air fryer recipe is juicy and flavorful, with a delicious, seasoned crust. Add some vegetables, and it’s perfection as a main dish for an easy and healthy dinner.
I’m making boneless air fryer leg of lamb but there’s no reason you couldn’t use this recipe for other boneless lamb roasts. Make boneless air fryer lamb shoulder, or learn how to air fry other cuts of lamb in the FAQs below.
- 🔪 Roast Lamb in Air Fryer
- 🥘 Air Fryer Lamb Roast Ingredients
- ⏲️ Roast Lamb in Air Fryer Cooking Time
- ❓ How do you know when lamb roast is done?
- 🌡️ How to Reheat Roast Lamb in Air Fryer
- 😋 What to Serve with Roast Lamb
- 📋Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
- 💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- 👩🏻🍳 More Air Fryer Roasts
- 👨🏾🍳 Other Air Fryer Lamb Recipes
- The Disclaimer…
- 📖 Recipe
🔪 Roast Lamb in Air Fryer
Here are the step-by-step instructions for how to make roast lamb in air fryer:
- Allow the lamb to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes before you begin the recipe. If the lamb is netted, leave the net on the roast. Otherwise, tie the lamb into a compact roast using kitchen twine.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350F (177C) for 5 minutes. Rub all sides of the lamb with olive oil.
- Mix the rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper together. Rub the herbs all over the lamb.
- Place the seasoned lamb in the air fryer fattiest side up. Air fry lamb roast for 15-20 minutes per pound at 350F (177C). Check on and flip the lamb every 10-20 minutes, checking more often towards the end of the cooking time. My lamb was almost 3 lbs and took 1 hour to cook.
- Use an instant read thermometer to check inside the middle of the roast. Medium done is 130-135F, which is how I prefer lamb roast. Add additional cooking time if needed. (The safe minimum internal temperature for lamb is 145F (63C), or medium well done.)
- After air frying, let the lamb rest for 10 minutes. Tent the roast in foil to keep the meat warm. This rest period allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat.
- Cut off the netting, slice, and serve. Enjoy!
Do I cover lamb with foil when roasting?
You do not need to cover the lamb with aluminum foil for this air fryer recipe. In general, lamb legs don’t need to be covered with foil when cooked in the oven. Lamb shoulder may be covered with foil at least part of the time it slowly roasts.
🥘 Air Fryer Lamb Roast Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make air fryer roast lamb:
- 2.8 lbs boneless lamb leg roast (1.27 kg)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Lamb roast often comes netted. If yours does not, I recommend tying it into a compact roast with kitchen twine. This will help the lamb to cook more evenly.
Aside from the possible twine, you’ll also need an air fryer and a meat thermometer for this recipe.
I developed this recipe in a small air fryer basket (Okaysou brand). You can make Ninja air fryer roast lamb, or make it in a Philips, Kalorik, Nuwave, Cosori, Cuisinart, Breville, Pampered Chef, Actifry, Instant Pot Vortex, or another air fryer instead. If you're using a large air fryer oven, you may have a longer cooking time.
⏲️ Roast Lamb in Air Fryer Cooking Time
What is the roast lamb leg air fryer time? What is the air fryer lamb leg temperature? Air fry lamb roast for a total of 30-60 minutes in an air fryer preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177C).
The general rule of thumb is to air fry lamb for 15-20 minutes per pound. Begin by checking on and flipping the lamb every 20 minutes. As the lamb is getting closer to being done, check and flip every 10 minutes.
After air frying, check the lamb roast with a meat thermometer to ensure it has reached the right temperature. There is more information on lamb roast doneness below.
How long does it take to roast 1kg lamb?
1 kg lamb roast in air fryer takes 30-45 minutes in an air fryer preheated to 350F (177C). Oven roasted lamb is best either cooked quickly to medium, or slow cooked until it falls off the bone. For quick oven cooking, try 450F (232C) for 15 minutes, then 350F (177C) for 30-45 minutes.
How long does 2kg of lamb take to cook?
2kg lamb roast in air fryer takes 60-90 minutes in an air fryer preheated to 350F (177C). For oven cooking, roast 2kg lamb at 450F (232C) for 15 minutes, then 350F (177C) for 60-90 minutes. Use an instant read meat thermometer to check the lamb for doneness.
Does lamb become more tender the longer you cook it?
Slow cooking lamb that is tough for longer periods of time will make it more tender. In the dry heat of the air fryer, lamb is best cooked quickly to medium or medium-rare. Lamb that is overcooked in the air fryer will become dry and tough.
How do I make roast lamb tender? When using the oven, some recommend putting broth or water in the roasting pan for lamb. Use a low temperature for oven or slow cooker recipes, and cook until the lamb is fall-off-the-bone tender.
❓ How do you know when lamb roast is done?
Like steaks, you can cook lamb rare, medium-rare, medium, medium-well, or well done. According to the USDA, raw lamb roast should be cooked to a minimum internal temp of 145F (63C). After cooking, the roast should rest for at least 3 minutes before slicing and serving.
Lamb cooked to 145F (63C) is medium-well done (though some sources call it medium). Here is a guide to lamb doneness levels (source):
- Rare: 115 to 120°F
- Medium-rare: 120 to 125°F
- Medium: 130 to 135°F
- Medium-well: 140 to 145°F
- Well-done: 150 to 155°F
Lamb will continue to cook for a few minutes as it rests, after removing it from the air fryer. Therefore, lamb cooked to 145F (63C) could end up well-done, which is overcooked IMHO. I prefer to remove lamb from the heat a little before it reaches 145F, but the right level of doneness is ultimately up to you.
🌡️ How to Reheat Roast Lamb in Air Fryer
Reheat roast lamb slices in an air fryer at 350F (177C) for 3-5 minutes. Leftover lamb roast can be kept in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. (It’s best to enjoy this roast prepared fresh, however.)
Another way to reheat lamb roast is in a microwave on high for 1-2 minutes. Cooked lamb roast also freezes well. Store it in a freezer bag with the air pressed out.
😋 What to Serve with Roast Lamb
Wondering what to eat with roast lamb? I love to serve lamb roast with this mint sauce, plus air fryer roast potatoes and air fryer frozen vegetables. The veggies add some vitamin C, potassium, and fiber.
Here are other sauces and side dishes that go with leg of lamb:
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Keto Pesto Sauce
- Mint Jelly
- Air Fryer Frozen Green Beans
- Vegan Spinach Salad
- Air Fryer Baby Carrots
📋Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
One serving of this air fryer leg of lamb recipe has 451 calories, 0 grams net carbohydrates, and 39.3 grams protein. This is for a large portion (⅙ of the roast). Lamb is a naturally low carb, keto, and gluten free food.
💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 3 recipe (weight maintenance and active lifestyles). Boneless leg of lamb is a lean protein compared to some fattier cuts of lamb (such as lamb breast or lamb shoulder). However, I’m assuming this is being served on a special occasion and I made the portions large, bumping this entrée to level 3.
For a low-calorie meal, consider cutting your portion of lamb in half and piling non-starchy veggies on your plate. As long as they aren’t cooked in a lot of oil, non-starchy vegetables will add a lot of low calorie volume to the meal. Paired with the high-quality protein in lamb, you’ll have a nourishing and filling meal.
That said, lamb is so much more than just a good protein source. It's packed with B complex vitamins, as well as essential minerals including zinc, phosphorus, and highly bioavailable iron.
We tend to stick with chicken, beef, and pork in the US. Consider adding lamb for more variety in your diet! Much of the rest of the English-speaking world has already caught on to the wonders of lamb.
Cook air fryer lamb shoulder in an air fryer preheated to 350F (177C) for 15-20 minutes per pound. Lamb shoulder in the air fryer is so good because of the high fat content. So much flavor!
Here are directions for air fryer rolled lamb breast roast. Lamb breast is one of the cheapest cuts of lamb you can buy. It’s worth seeking out if you’re on a tight budget.
Here is a Ninja Foodi grill roast leg of lamb recipe. This is for a marinated boneless leg of lamb. The marinade helps keep it tender and moist.
To make air fryer rotisserie boneless leg of lamb, begin by removing the lamb from the netting. Then wrap the roast around the air fryer spit, and attach it securely to the spit with kitchen twine. Now you can follow the recipe directions below for seasoning and cooking the roast.
Here is a recipe for air fryer lamb shanks.
In the oven, the best temperature for lamb is 450F (232C) for 15 minutes, then 350F (177C) for 15-20 minutes per pound. (Of course, this is my opinion, based on how I like lamb. Feel free to change things up!)
I recommend roasting lamb fat side up, so the fat bastes the meat as it cooks. However, if there is a source of direct heat under the lamb (like on a grill), roast the lamb fat side down.
👩🏻🍳 More Air Fryer Roasts
Here are some more air fryer roast recipes to try:
👨🏾🍳 Other Air Fryer Lamb Recipes
Looking for more recipes for cooking lamb in the air fryer? Try these:
- Air Fryer Lamb Chops Recipe (Air Fry Lamb Loin Chops)
- Air Fryer Rack of Lamb (Air Fry Lamb Chops “Lollipops”)
Also, don’t miss the Air Fryer Recipes Collection!
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be wildly inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
For more information on how the three recipe levels may help with a weight management goal, refer to my overnight oats no sugar post. Let's get cooking!
Roast Lamb in Air Fryer Recipe
- Allow the lamb roast to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes before you begin the recipe. If the lamb is netted, leave the net on the roast. Otherwise, tie the lamb into a compact roast using kitchen twine.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F (177°C) for 5 minutes. Rub all sides of the lamb with olive oil.
- Mix the rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper together. Rub the herbs all over the lamb.
- Place the seasoned lamb in the air fryer fattiest side up. Air fry lamb roast for 15-20 minutes per pound at 350°F (177°C). Check on and flip the lamb every 10-20 minutes, checking more often towards the end of the cooking time. My lamb was almost 3 lbs. and took 1 hour to cook.
- Use an instant read thermometer to check inside the middle of the roast. Medium done is 130-135°F, which is how I prefer lamb roast. Add additional cooking time if needed. (The safe minimum internal temperature for lamb is 145°F (63°C), or medium well done.)
- After air frying, let the lamb rest for 10 minutes. Tent the roast in foil to keep the meat warm. Then cut off the netting, slice, and serve. Enjoy!