Can you cook Steak Umms in the air fryer? You bet! Learn how to make Steak Umms in air fryer, the best way to cook Steak Umms. You’ll love these easy and delicious air fryer Steak Umms that are naturally keto, low carb, and gluten free. And if you don’t mind the carbs, I’ll also teach you to make an air fryer Philly cheese steak sandwich!
Steak-Umms are a frozen steak sandwich meat that were popular during my childhood in the 80s, and they’re still around. After cooking these thin steaks in air fryer, you can use them to make a quick air fryer Philly cheesesteak.
Here are a few more reasons to make steakums in air fryer:
- Fast: You can air fry thin cut steak in only 2-5 minutes in most preheated air fryers. These thin slices of steak are one of the fastest options for air fryer frozen meat.
- Just beef: The ingredient in Steak Ums is beef and that’s it. Though these are a highly processed food, they don’t contain artificial ingredients, preservatives, or fillers.
- Portion control: Steak Umms are packaged so you can just cook the number of servings you need. They’re perfect for singles, couples, and small families.
- Protein: Though not a lean protein, you can use Steak Umms to give recipes a little protein boost. You’re also getting a little iron, vitamin B12, and other nutrients in beef.
- Keto friendly: Steak Ums are naturally keto and low carb friendly. (However, if you make air fryer cheese steak, you’ll be adding a significant amount of carbs.)
- Delicious: Steak Umms are a tasty bit of nostalgia for those of us who grew up in the US in the 80s. Luckily, it’s still very easy to find this childhood favorite in stores.
- ⭐ Is Steak-umm real steak?
- 🤔 Steak Umm Air Fryer Ingredients
- 🔪 How to Cook Steak Umms in Air Fryer
- ️⏲️ Steakums Air Fryer Time
- 🔥 How to Cook Steak-Umms in the Oven
- 💡 How to Cook Steak-Umms on the Stove (Box Directions)
- 🥪 How to Make a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
- ️️🌡️ How to Reheat a Cheesesteak in Air Fryer
- ❓ How long are Steakums good for in the freezer?
- 🥦 What to Serve with Steak Umms
- 📋 Steak Umms Calories
- 💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- 👩🏻🍳 Other Air Fryer Steak Recipes
- The Disclaimer…
- 📖 Recipe
⭐ Is Steak-umm real steak?
Steak-Umm is made of the beef trimmings left after the prime cuts of meat (rib eye, filet, etc.) are removed (source). These trimmings are ground, emulsified, and pressed into a loaf that is sliced and frozen. Though Steak Umm is 100% beef, it’s made of mystery meat cuts, more similar to hot dogs than steak.
I feel like this information should not be a surprise to anyone. (I mean, did you really think you were getting prime rib in your box of Steak Umms?) If this sort of thing makes you squeamish, this product is probably not for you.
I appreciate that Steak-Umms help to reduce food waste. IMVHO, there are far worse food choices you could make than this product.
🤔 Steak Umm Air Fryer Ingredients
The only thing you need to make Steak Umms in an air fryer is the box of Steak Umms. They’re high fat, so you don’t need oil or cooking spray.
I tested this recipe in a 10-Quart Kalorik Digital Air Fryer Oven and an Okaysou air fryer. You could also use the Ninja Foodi, Philips, Nuwave, Pampered Chef, Actifry, Instant Pot Vortex, Cosori, Breville, and others.
However, keep in mind air fryer cooking times are not consistent between brands. It took 3-4 minutes to cook steakumms in my air fryer oven, and only 2 minutes in my small air fryer. Always check the food early any time you try a new air fryer recipe to prevent burning the food.
You should also have some tongs or a metal spatula on hand. This will make it easier to get the Steak-Umms out of the air fryer.
🔪 How to Cook Steak Umms in Air Fryer
Let’s air fry Steak-Umms from frozen! Here are the steps:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F (200C) for 5 minutes.
- Put the Steak-Umms in the hot air fryer basket or tray. You want them in a single layer, so you’ll only be able to cook 1-2 piles at a time. Make sure to remove any paper that separates the piles of steak slices.
- Air fry for 2 minutes at 400F (200C). Use the top rack if you have an air fryer oven.
- Check the Steak-Umms. They will be completely brown and firm when fully cooked. (Note: 160F (71C) is the minimum safe temp for ground beef products, but these are too thin to check. The safe temp for actual steak is 145F (63C), but Steak Umms are a processed chopped meat product, not intact cuts of meat.)
- If the Steak Umm isn’t done yet, bunch up the edges a bit so they don’t dry out. Air fry an additional 1-2 minutes at 400F (200C). There's no need to flip them.
- If you’re making the Steak Umm cheesesteak sandwiches below, top the Steak Umms with a slice of cheese. Cook for 1 minute more.
️⏲️ Steakums Air Fryer Time
How long do you cook shaved steak in air fryer? What's the temp for air fryer Steak Umms? Air fry Steak-Umm slices for a total of 2-4 minutes in an air fryer preheated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200C).
🔥 How to Cook Steak-Umms in the Oven
Can you cook Steak Umms in the oven? Yes, you can cook Steak Umms in an oven preheated to 350F (177C) for 8-10 minutes. The steak slices should be in a single layer on a metal baking sheet, and the paper should be removed.
This cooking method takes longer than air frying or using the stove, so I don’t recommend it.
💡 How to Cook Steak-Umms on the Stove (Box Directions)
Heat a cast iron skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Add a frozen Steak-Umm (without the paper) and cook for one minute. Then flip the Steak-Umm and cook an additional 15-20 seconds until browned on both sides.
You don’t need added fat in the pan since Steak Umms are relatively high in fat already.
🥪 How to Make a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich
Authentic Philly cheesesteak is made with thinly sliced rib eye steak. Some suggest sirloin also works for a cheaper option. This Steak-Umm cheesesteak recipe is another option for cheap meat for Philly cheesesteak.
At Pat’s and Geno’s, the famous cheesesteak rivals in Philadelphia, you can choose between Cheese Whiz and provolone cheese. You could also use Swiss cheese or American cheese slices. (I’m partial to provolone.)
Amoroso rolls are the traditional choice for Philly cheesesteaks. They are typically served buttered and toasted. You’re welcome to use your favorite hoagie rolls if you can’t find them.
To toast hoagie rolls in the air fryer, place them cut side up in the middle of the air fryer for 2-3 minutes at 400F (200C). Air fry the Steak Umms and cheese as discussed above. Now we’re ready to assemble our cheesesteaks.
Classic Philadelphia cheesesteak has the following:
- Sauteed or caramelized onions (specify “wit” or “wit-out” the onions)
- Melty cheese
That’s all you get in your hoagie roll, and it’s a lovely combo. That said, you’re welcome to add sauteed mushrooms or other veggies if you wish. Sauteed bell peppers or hot peppers are two popular options.
️️🌡️ How to Reheat a Cheesesteak in Air Fryer
Cheesesteaks are best enjoyed freshly made. If you must reheat leftovers, I’d reheat the cheesesteak filling for 1 minute in the microwave. Reheat the roll for about 2 minutes in an air fryer set to 400F (200C), and reassemble.
You could also experiment with sticking the whole sandwich in the air fryer. Try air frying for 2-4 minutes at 350F (177C) to gently reheat, adding time as needed.
❓ How long are Steakums good for in the freezer?
An unopened box of Steakumms should stay fresh in the freezer for up to 6-12 months. After that, you may see some deterioration in quality, such as freezer burn.
🥦 What to Serve with Steak Umms
Need some side dishes for steak Umms? Try one (or more) of these:
📋 Steak Umms Calories
How many calories and carbs in Steakums? One Steak Umm has 100 calories, 0 grams net carbs, and 5 grams protein. The nutrition information for a Steak Umm sandwich depends on the bun and toppings you use.
💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 3 recipe (weight maintenance and active lifestyles). Steak Umms are portion controlled and only 100 calories per serving. However, they are high fat and relatively low protein. For each serving, you’re getting about 80 calories from fat and only 20 calories from protein.
Additionally, Steak Umms are usually served on a high calorie, low volume white flour roll with a generous amount of cheese. To make meals with Steak Umms low calorie, it would be better to serve them with lots of veggies. One example would be to shred them up and put them on a salad.
Even though Steak Umms belong to the protein group, they only provide 5 grams of protein per serving. That’s less than the protein in one large egg.
You may want to double up on the Steak Umms in your sandwiches to help make them more filling. Another option is to add a source of lean protein to your meal.
If you eat three meals per day, I generally recommend to aim for a minimum of 20-25 grams of protein per meal. Yes, most meal components (grains, veggies, etc.) contain some protein. However, it may be difficult to reach that target if you’re using Steak Umms as the main protein source in your meal.
To make Steak-Umms taste better, make steak and cheese melts! You could also add seasoning (tips below) or add a marinade or sauce. Steak-Umms are meant to be incorporated into recipes, not enjoyed by themselves.
To make air fryer frozen cheesesteak, wrap the sandwich in foil that was misted with cooking spray. Preheat the air fryer to 400F (200C) for 5 minutes. Air fry in the middle of the air fryer for 12-15 minutes until cooked through. Add additional cooking time as needed.
Steak ums add flavor to homemade Hot Pockets, egg rolls, stuffed peppers, nachos, salads, casseroles... You could also chop them up and serve them over pasta or make some Steak Umm fries. They’re quite versatile!
You can season Steak Ums with Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, hot sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, Italian seasoning, steak seasoning, or whatever floats your boat really. There are no rules, so chase the flavors that sound good to you.
Steak Umms should be air fried from frozen, so don't thaw raw Steak Umms. You can technically freeze cooked Steak Umms, but they may not have an optimal texture when reheated. Keep in mind that leftovers should be reheated to a minimum safe temp of 165F (74C).
Yes, according to the SteakUMM website, chicken breast Steak Umm sandwich steaks do exist! Unfortunately, they may be difficult to find in stores, depending on your location. (I’ve never personally seen them.)
👩🏻🍳 Other Air Fryer Steak Recipes
Craving the real deal? Here are some recipes for air fryer steaks you may enjoy:
- Air Fryer Rib Eye Steak
- Air Fryer Flank Steak
- Tuna Steak in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Cabbage Steaks (I see you, vegetarians. Haha)
Psst... don’t miss the entire collection of Air Fryer Recipes while you’re here!
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be wildly inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
For more information on how the three recipe levels may help with a weight management goal, refer to my overnight oats no sugar post. Let's get cooking!
Steak Umms in Air Fryer (Air Fryer Philly Cheese Steak Recipe)
- 1 frozen Steak Umms
- 1 slice provolone cheese (optional, could also use Swiss cheese or American cheese)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for 5 minutes.
- Place the Steak-Umms in the hot air fryer basket or tray. You want them in a single layer, so you’ll only be able to cook 1-2 at a time. Make sure to remove any paper that separates the piles of steak slices.
- Air fry for 2 minutes at 400°F (200°C). Use the top rack if you have an air fryer oven.
- Check the Steak-Umms. They will be completely brown and firm when fully cooked. (Note: 160°F (71°C) is the minimum safe temp for ground beef products, but these are too thin to check. The safe temp for actual steak is 145F (63C), but Steak Umms are a processed chopped meat product, not intact cuts of meat.)
- If the Steak Umm isn’t done yet, bunch up the edges a bit so they don’t dry out. Air fry an additional 1-2 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
- If you’re making Steak Umm cheesesteak sandwiches, top the Steak Umms with a slice of cheese. Air fry for 1 minute more.
- For Air Fryer Philly Cheese Steak: Place Steak-Umm and cheese in a toasted hoagie roll. Add caramelized onions if desired, and enjoy!