Learn how to cook frozen crayfish (AKA frozen crawfish or crawdads)! Air fryer crawfish only takes 5-6 minutes at 375F (190C). This is the easiest answer to how to cook frozen crawfish. These directions are for cooking frozen crawfish that are precooked. Alternatively, boil frozen crawfish tails for 2-4 minutes on the stovetop, or boil whole frozen crawfish for about 10 minutes. You’ll love all the frozen crawfish recipes you can make with these simple directions.
Cooking crayfish is simple, and there are so many ways to do it! Today I’ll answer the following questions (and more!):
- How to cook crayfish from frozen?
- How to cook precooked frozen crawfish?
- Can you air fry crawfish?
- How long to boil frozen crawfish?
- How to eat crawfish?
➕ How to Cook Frozen Crayfish
Walmart sells seasoned, precooked frozen crawfish in the seafood section, and cooking frozen crawfish that are precooked is basically just reheating. So easy!
How to Cook Frozen Crayfish in Air Fryer
Here are the step-by-step instructions for cooking a crayfish in the air fryer:
- Place 8 ounces of frozen whole crawfish (227 grams) in your air fryer basket or tray. (I’m using Louisiana crawfish.)
- Air fry frozen crawfish for 5-6 minutes at 375F (190C). Flip or shake the crawfish halfway through the air frying time. Serve with melted butter, lemon wedges, and Old Bay seasoning. (Or season to taste with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, Cajun spice, parsley and other herbs, or your preferred seasonings.)
Get a printable recipe card at the end of the post!
Your Ninja Foodi, Cosori, Pampered Chef Air Fryer, Actifry, Nuwave, Kalorik, Instant Vortex, Cuisinart, Philips, Power Air Fryer, etc. can make crawfish. Always keep a close eye on the food the first time you try a new air fryer recipe. My small air fryer took about 1 minute less than my air fryer oven.
Reheat Crawfish in Air Fryer
Reheat 8 ounces of precooked defrosted crawfish (227 grams) in an air fryer for 3-4 minutes at 375F (190C). There’s no need to preheat the air fryer or flip the crawfish.
How to Cook Frozen Crayfish on the Stove
How long to boil a crayfish? It only takes about 10 minutes to boil frozen crayfish. Simply bring a pot of water to a boil, then drop the frozen crayfish in and boil until warmed.
How long to steam crayfish? Steam defrosted crayfish in a steamer for approximately 15-25 minutes. You can thaw frozen crayfish by leaving it in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
How to Cook Frozen Crayfish in the Microwave
How to cook cooked crawfish in a microwave? Place defrosted precooked crawfish in a microwave-safe bowl that’s partially covered with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Heat on high for approximately 5 minutes, or until warmed through.
How do you cook frozen crawfish in the microwave? Place the frozen crawfish in a microwave-safe bowl that’s partially covered with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Heat on high for 5 minutes, then check on it in 30-60 second intervals until warmed through.
Keep in mind that microwaves vary, and these cooking times are approximate.
How to Cook Crayfish in the Oven
My seafood boil in bag is the best way to cook crayfish in the oven! I tested this recipe with crayfish, and you can use other types of seafood too. Who wouldn’t love a crawfish boil with crawfish meat, corn on the cob, red potatoes, and sausage?
🦞 How to Cook Frozen Crayfish Tails
How long to boil frozen crawfish tails? Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the frozen crawfish tails, and boil for 2-4 minutes.
Air Fryer Crawfish Tails
Toss precooked and thawed crawfish tails in your desired seasoning and coat with flour or breadcrumbs. Air fry the tails at 375F (190C) for 3-4 minutes, adding time as needed until you reach the desired crispiness.
No, you don’t have to thaw frozen crawfish before cooking. Crawfish can be boiled from frozen.
To defrost frozen crawfish, place the sealed bag in cold water for quicker thawing or refrigerate it overnight. Avoid thawing crawfish at room temperature to prevent bacterial growth.
According to the Foodkeeper app, precooked frozen crawfish stays fresh for up to 1-3 months if stored properly in a freezer. When freezing crawfish, use a Ziploc freezer bag with the air pressed out or a vacuum-sealed bag to prevent freezer burn.
Boiling is a popular way to cook crawfish, and you can season them after cooking if they need more flavor. I prefer air fried crawfish because it is quick and the cleanup is easy.
While it’s possible to freeze live crawfish, I prefer to precook fresh crawfish before freezing. I find it helps lock in flavor, and it makes meal prep easier.
Boil frozen raw crawfish for 7-10 minutes after the water returns to a boil. The cooking time may vary depending on the size of the crawfish, so always ensure they are cooked through before consuming. The minimum safe internal temperature for crawfish is 145F (63C).
✨ How to Eat Crawfish
You can eat every part of the crawfish except the shells. Crawfish tail meat is the best part of the crawfish, IMVHO. I love that you don’t need a crab cracker to eat these!
👨🍳 Healthy Crawfish Recipes
Wondering how to use crawfish in other ways? Here are some recipes for crawfish you don’t want to miss:
- Air Fryer Crawfish Po’Boys
- Air Fryer Crawfish Cakes
- Fried Crawfish Tails Recipe (Maybe not the healthiest crawfish option, but certainly delicious!)
- Crawfish Etouffee
- Crawfish Fritters
You could also include crawfish in your favorite air fryer shrimp boil recipe.
How to Cook Frozen Crayfish (Air Fryer Crawfish)
- 8 ounces frozen crawfish (227 grams)
- fresh lemon wedges, melted butter, Old Bay seasoning (for serving, optional)
- Air fry frozen crawfish: Place precooked frozen crawfish in the air fryer basket or tray. Air fry frozen crawfish for 5-6 minutes at 375°F (190°C). Flip or shake the crawfish halfway through the air frying time. Serve with melted butter, lemon wedges, and Old Bay seasoning.
- Reheat crawfish in air fryer: Reheat precooked defrosted crawfish in an air fryer for 3-4 minutes at 375°F (190°C).
- Boil frozen crayfish on stove: It only takes about 10 minutes to boil frozen crayfish. Simply bring a pot of water to a boil, then drop the frozen crayfish in and boil until warmed.
- Cook frozen crayfish in microwave: Place the frozen crawfish in a microwave-safe bowl that’s partially covered with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Heat on high for 5 minutes, then check on it in 30-60 second intervals until warmed through.