Learn how to make sweet potato toast without a toaster! Get directions on how to make sweet potato toast in air fryer or oven with this air fryer sweet potato toast recipe. You’ll love how easy and inexpensive this gluten-free toast alternative is to make. Get tips on making sweet potato toast savory or sweet for a healthy breakfast that’s grain-free, Paleo, and Whole30 compliant.
Did you know that you can make gluten-free toast with a sweet potato? Many gluten-free breads and baked goods are more expensive than their gluten-containing counterparts. Save money with this easy recipe for air fried sweet potato toast!
The sweet potato slices are literally just slices of sweet potato in a bag. You take out what you need, and you toast them until crispy. That is literally it.
The sweet potatoasts are slices of sweet potato with a little oil and salt. You can typically get a pound of these frozen, sliced sweet potatoes for $6-8. As much as I love this whole food idea for gluten free toast, the price gives me pause.
Wouldn’t it be nearly as easy to make your own sweet potato toast with a fresh sweet potato? Fresh sweet potatoes are typically far less expensive than $6-8 per pound. With a good knife and an airfryer, you could save some money with minimal effort!
- ⭐ Benefits
- 🥘 Sweet Potato Toast Ingredients
- 🍽 Equipment
- 🔪 How to Make Sweet Potato Toast in Air Fryer
- ️⏲️ Cooking Time and Temperature
- 👪 Can you freeze sweet potato toast?
- 🍠 Sweet Potato Toast Toppings
- 📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
- 💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- 👩🏻🍳 Other Sweet Potato Recipes
- The Disclaimer…
- 📖 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
Is Air Fryer Sweet Potato Toast better than bread? Here are some benefits of sweet potato toast, whether you air fry it or oven bake it:
- Vegan: Air fryer sweet potato toast is a simple plant-based recipe. The basic recipe is vegan, and you can easily make your finished toasts vegetarian or vegan depending on the toppings you add.
- Gluten free: Have celiac disease or NCGS? DIY sweet potato toast in the air fryer is a simple way to make your avocado toast gluten free.
- Cheap: As mentioned above, homemade sweet potato toast is much less expensive than frozen sweet potato toast from the store.
- Easy: This is truly how to make the easiest gluten-free toast around. No messing with expensive gluten-free flour, xanthan gum, or other unusual ingredients that typically appear in gluten-free bread. You can get everything needed for sweet potato toast at a regular supermarket!
- Healthy: Sweet potatoes are a healthier alternative to most of the GF bread options out there. Most of the gluten-free breads that you find in the grocery store count as ultra-processed foods. You’re paying to get that bread-like experience, but these products are often not better health-wise.
- Vitamin A: Unlike grain-based toasts, sweet potatoes are packed with carotenoids. Boost your provitamin A intake with this low-calorie, phytonutrient-rich alternative to toast!
- Snack or main dish: You can enjoy sweet potato toast as a healthy snack. Alternatively, pile on the nutritious toast toppings and make it the main course for breakfast or brunch! Sweet potato toast could also work as an appetizer at potlucks and parties.
- Delicious: This air fryer sweet potato toast recipe is versatile and tasty. You might want to add it to your regular breakfast menu!
🥘 Sweet Potato Toast Ingredients
What do you need to make sweet potato toast in an air fryer? Here's your shopping list:
- One sweet potato
- Cooking oil spray
- Salt and pepper
That’s it for the basic sweet potato toast recipe! You’ll probably also want some toast toppings on hand, and I’ve got lots of ideas for those below.
Use your favorite sweet potatoes or yams for this recipe. I used regular red orange sweet potatoes.
You could also use Japanese sweet potatoes (white sweet potatoes), purple sweet potatoes, or your favorite variety. The air frying time for all of these should be about the same.
Make sure to choose a non-aerosol cooking spray. Some people have reported that aerosol cooking sprays damage their air fryer basket.
If you’re on a Paleo or Whole30 diet, use a cooking spray that is compliant with those eating patterns. Olive oil spray and avocado oil spray are two common options.
If you’re making sweet potato toast in an air fryer, you’ll need an air fryer and a knife. To oven bake sweet potato toast, you need a baking sheet and a knife. A toaster or toaster oven is nice to have if you want to get oven sweet potato toast extra crispy.
Instead of a knife, you can use a mandoline to cut the sweet potatoes to an even thickness. This not only makes them look good, it also helps the potatoes to cook more evenly.
That said, my long-standing fear of mandolines meant that I ended up slicing my potatoes with a regular kitchen knife. I cut slowly and carefully, and things worked out fine.
I develop air fryer recipes in a 10-Quart Kalorik Digital Air Fryer Oven. You can air fry sweet potato toasts in a Ninja Foodi, Philips, Nuwave, Pampered Chef, Actifry, Instant Pot Vortex, Cosori, Breville, or other air fryer. However, air fryer time may need to be slightly adjusted depending on the air fryer you use.
Always watch the food closely the first time you try a new air fryer recipe. That way you won't end up with burnt toast!
🔪 How to Make Sweet Potato Toast in Air Fryer
Let's learn how to air fry sweet potato toast! Begin by slicing the pointy ends off the sweet potato.
Using a knife or mandoline, carefully cut the sweet potato into ¼-inch thick slices (0.64 cm). You can keep the skins on the sweet potatoes.
It’s easiest to get neat toast slices if the sweet potato you use is fairly cylindrical in shape. Those sweet potatoes that are all thin and twisty don’t work as well here. Getting them as uniformly thick as possible will help them cook evenly.
Spray an air fryer tray or air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the sweet potato slices in a single layer on the tray, and mist them with oil too. If you have a lot of slices, you’ll need to air fry them in batches.
Sprinkle the prepared sweet potato slices with salt and black pepper. If you have an air fryer oven, put the sweet potato slices in the top rack position. It’s time to air fry!
️⏲️ Cooking Time and Temperature
How long to air fry sweet potato toast? What temperature to air fry sweet potato toast? It takes a total of 18-20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200C) to cook sweet potato toast in the air fryer.
Just air fry for 10 minutes, then flip the toasts over and air fry 8-10 more minutes. You don’t have to add additional oil. Let them sit about 3 minutes to cool before topping and enjoying.
I like to have this as gluten free avocado toast and pile the toppings on high! Just like with bread, if you add toast toppings like fried eggs, this is best eaten with a fork. If you’re using lighter toppings, no utensils may be needed.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also bake the sweet potato slices in the oven and then toast them. To do this, preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Spray a dark cookie sheet with cooking spray.
Put the slices of sweet potato on the baking sheet and mist with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake the sweet potato toast for 13-15 minutes about ⅓ down from the top of the oven. After baking the toasts, you can toast them in a toaster oven or pop-up toaster. Toasting helps the sweet potatoes to crisp up on the surface, making them easier to pick up.
I recommend using a toaster oven if you have one. If you use a regular toaster, go very light on the cooking spray. You don’t want oil dripping all over the inside of your toaster where it could start a fire.
The longer you toast your toast, the crisper it becomes. And the crispier your toast is, the easier it is to pick up. Just make sure it doesn’t burn.
👪 Can you freeze sweet potato toast?
Yes, you can freeze sweet potato toasts without toppings! To freeze, line a sheet with freezer paper or parchment paper and put the air fried toasts on the sheet in a single layer. Freeze overnight.
After they’ve frozen, put the sweet potato toasts in a freezer bag with the air pressed out. Alternatively, put them in vacuum-sealed freezer bags. Now they are ready for longer freezer storage.
Reheat frozen sweet potato toasts using the directions in the FAQ section below.
If you know you’ll use the leftovers quickly, you can also refrigerate cooked sweet potato toast. Leftover sweet potato toast can be kept in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Don’t add any toppings until after you reheat it.
To reheat refrigerated sweet potato toast, you can put it in the air fryer at 400F (200C) for a couple of minutes. Another option to reheat sweet potato toast is to use a warm skillet with a little oil.
You can also meal prep sweet potato toasts for busy weekday mornings. If you’ll be oven baking them, do the baking step ahead of time. Then in the morning, all you’ll need to do is toast the sweet potatoes and top them. It is just as easy as making toast with your favorite gluten-free bread!
🍠 Sweet Potato Toast Toppings
Do you need some ideas for topping sweet potato toast? I like to make a GF avocado toast. To do this, I top them with mashed avocado and garlic, thinly sliced radishes, and fried eggs. YUM!
Just about anything you’d put on your flour-based toast would work with this sliced sweet potato toast. You’re limited only by your imagination (plus any dietary preferences or restrictions you have, of course).
Here are a few suggestions:
- Creamy peanut butter with sliced bananas that were sprinkled with cinnamon
- A smear of almond butter with chopped dates
- Cream cheese mixed with a bit of lemon zest and mashed fresh raspberries
- Fresh greens, hard-boiled egg salad, and a sprinkle of Everything But the Bagel seasoning
- Tahini, maple syrup, fresh figs, and a crumble of bacon
- Sunflower seed butter and Marionberry jam
- Pesto sauce with smoked salmon, cucumber slices, and fresh tomato
- Instant Pot Yogurt and honey, plus a sprinkle of pumpkin spice
- Warmed tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella, and pepperoni or another meat (for pizza sweet potato toast!)
- Leftover curry made with chicken, peas, and cauliflower, or try this Palak Paneer
I was also thinking that sweet potato toasts would make a better-for-you gluten free alternative to graham crackers for s’mores. Many U.S. households are already serving marshmallows and sweet potatoes together on holidays. It’s only a small stretch to throw some chocolate chips into the mix.
📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
One serving of this sweet potato toast air fryer recipe has 73 calories, 14.5 grams net carbs, and 1.3 grams protein. This is for two air fried sweet potato toasts without any toppings.
💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 1 recipe (may help support fat loss). Sweet potato toasts make a nice base for a variety of low-calorie breakfast options. You can make this a meal that gives you a little bit of everything.
I like to add protein from eggs and healthy fats from avocado in addition to the energizing carbs from sweet potatoes. If you want to turn your sweet potato toast into a full meal, do as I did here and make sure to top it with some high-quality protein and healthy fats.
Two of these topped toasts ends up being about 300 calories. Add a glass of dairy milk to this breakfast to bump up the protein and calcium a little more!
Just because I would consider this a healthy recipe, it doesn’t mean it’s right for everyone. Sweet potatoes are a starchy vegetable, so they aren’t a good fit for low carb or keto diets. If you are using one of these strategies for weight loss or blood sugar control in diabetes, a low carb bread may be a better option for you.
If you need a high energy meal, have a bunch of these toasts and add lots of healthy fat. Nut butters and seed butters provide about 200 calories per 2 tablespoons and can help make high calorie meals. Dried fruits and Medjool dates are also nutritious sources of concentrated calories.
Do sweet potatoes have gluten? Nope! Gluten is a type of protein found in certain types of grains. Starchy veggies, such as sweet potatoes, do not contain this protein. (That said, if you have celiac disease, be aware of the potential for cross-contact with foods that do contain gluten.)
No, and this misconception that toasted wheat bread has less gluten is potentially dangerous to those with celiac. Another issue is that there can be cross-contact if the same toaster is used for gluten-free bread and bread with gluten. You may want a toaster dedicated for GF products if some family members aren’t following a gluten-free diet.
The company that makes Caulipower Sweet Potatoasts recommends air frying them for 13-15 minutes in an air fryer preheated to 360F (182C). The frozen sweet potato toasts should be put in a single layer in the air fryer.
I recommend oven baking sweet potato toast before putting them in the toaster, as directed above. This will make homemade sweet potato toast crispy on the outside and tender inside. You can cook frozen sweet potato toast in the toaster for 2-4 minutes, no oven required.
I do like to soak or parboil sweet potatoes for certain air fryer recipes. It’s not necessary to do these things for air frying sweet potato toast. Save yourself some work!
👩🏻🍳 Other Sweet Potato Recipes
Want more recipes using sweet potatoes? Here you go:
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
- Meatloaf in Air Fryer
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Muffins (Gluten-Free)
Also, don’t miss our entire collection of Air Fryer Recipes.
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be wildly inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
For more information on how the three recipe levels may help with a weight management goal, refer to my overnight oats no sugar post. Let's get cooking!
Sweet Potato Toast Air Fryer Recipe (Gluten Free, Paleo, Whole30)
- 9 ounces sweet potato (255 grams; equals about one potato; choose a straight sweet potato with a cylindrical body for even slices)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooking oil spray (non-aerosol)
- Slice the pointy ends off the sweet potato. Using a knife or mandoline, carefully cut the sweet potato into ¼-inch thick slices (0.64 cm). You can keep the skins on the sweet potatoes. I yielded 6 slices.
- Spray an air fryer tray or air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the sweet potato slices in a single layer on the tray, and mist them with oil too. (You may need to air fry them in batches if your air fryer is small.)
- Sprinkle the prepared sweet potato slices with salt and black pepper. If you have an air fryer oven, put the sweet potato slices in the top rack position.
- To air fry: Air fry for 10 minutes at 400°F (200°C), then flip the toasts over and air fry 8-10 more minutes. You don’t have to add additional oil. Let them sit about 3 minutes to cool before topping and enjoying.
- To oven bake: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mist a dark baking tray with the cooking spray. Put your potato slices in a single layer on the tray and very lightly mist them with the cooking spray as well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake the sweet potato slices about ⅓ from the top of your heated oven for 13-15 minutes. When finished, let them cool a bit before popping in the toaster oven or toaster to crisp up.