Can you air fry yellow squash (AKA crookneck squash)? Absolutely! This squash in air fryer without breading is a quick and easy vegan side dish that’s also low carb, keto, and gluten free. You can use this air fryer recipe for all of your favorite summer squashes: yellow squash, zucchini, and golden squash. Learn the cooking time and temp for air fryer summer squash, how to cut yellow squash, and more!
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
Have you made summer squash in the air fryer yet? It’s a super way to make roasted yellow squash that’s tender with some browning.
I’m most likely to enjoy this air fried yellow squash when summer squash is in season. Yellow squashes are readily available at farmers market and in the garden at certain times of the year. They can be tough to find year-round in the store (in some locations).
So, when is yellow squash in season? The answer depends on what gardening zone you live in.
In general, crookneck squash is ripe in early to late summer. (Hence the name, “summer squash.”) It’s summer squash season where I live right now.
This recipe is for squash in the air fryer without breading. My air fryer breaded vegetable recipes tend to be popular, but they take a lot of work. Why not simplify life a bit by choosing easier recipes sometimes?
Plus, I can argue that (at least for some people) squash with no breading is the healthier choice. Breading tends to add a lot of calories from refined grains, added fat (or both) to low-calorie veggies.
Additionally, the flavor of your air fryer fresh yellow squash will shine through easier with just a simple seasoning. I’m all about savoring the delicious taste of ripe summertime veggies without making it complicated. They’re the best!
Table of Contents
- 📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
- ⭐ Squash in Air Fryer without Breading Benefits
- 🥘 Yellow Squash Air Fryer Ingredients
- 🔪 How to Make Squash in Air Fryer without Breading
- ️⏲ Yellow Squash Air Fryer Cooking Time and Temperature
- ️🌡️ Leftovers
- 🧂 Seasoning for Yellow Squash
- 🥗 How to Serve Yellow Squash
- 💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- 👩🏻🍳 More Air Fryer Summer Recipes
- 📖 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
One serving of yellow squash in the air fryer has 111 calories, 3.4 grams net carbs, and 1.8 grams protein.
What are the carbs in yellow squash? Per Cronometer, yellow squash has approximately 3.5-4.5 grams of net carbs per ⅓ pound (151 grams). It’s suitable for even very low carb diets.
⭐ Squash in Air Fryer without Breading Benefits
What are the benefits of making summer squash in the air fryer? Here are some reasons you might want to put this yellow squash air fryer recipe in your regular recipe rotation:
- Hydrating: Yellow squash is a low-calorie veggie and definitely not a complete source of nutrition. That said, one thing you’re getting a lot of with squash is fluid volume. Watery foods like fruits and veggies DO count toward your total daily fluid intake and can help keep you hydrated.
- Keto air fryer squash: Yellow squash is a keto-approved non-starchy vegetable. (Well, it’s botanically a fruit, but I digress.) Aside from being very low carb, it’s also gluten free and Paleo-friendly.
- Vegan yellow squash: Yellow squash is also a plant-based food that makes an excellent vegetarian side dish. Nearly everyone at your table will be able to enjoy this carotenoid-rich recipe.
- 3 ingredients: To make air fryer yellow squash (no breading), all you need is squash, oil, and seasoning. Simple recipes tend to be best for letting the flavors of your fresh, seasonal produce shine through.
- Fast: This air fryer zucchini and squash cooks quickly because summer squashes are thin-skinned. Your squash will be ready to eat in under 15 minutes- you don’t even need to preheat the air fryer!
- Easy: Cooking squash in air fryer is extremely low effort! Just mix the squash with oil and seasoning, and you’re good to go. You’ll flip the squash once, but otherwise it’s extremely hands off.
- Delicious: Veggies can taste good when prepared well! Summertime is the perfect season to sample a variety of new-to-you fresh veggies at peak ripeness. You might even be able to find heirloom summer squash varieties that I haven’t discussed here!
🥘 Yellow Squash Air Fryer Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make yellow squash in an air fryer:
- About a pound (454 grams) of summer squash
- Avocado oil (olive oil may also be used)
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
In my area, the term “summer squash” is interchangeable with yellow crookneck squash. To confuse matters, “summer squash” can also be used in a broader sense to refer to the variety of thin-skin squashes that ripen in summer. This includes green zucchini, yellow straightneck squash, golden squash, and pattypan squash.
Zucchini and yellow summer squash are practically interchangeable in recipes. You can use one or both of these squashes here.
Large pattypan squash can have a thicker skin than the others listed above. I haven’t tested pattypan squashes with this recipe. It may require a longer air frying time than the others.
To air fry yellow squash, you need an air fryer and a good knife. A metal spatula is handy for flipping the squash. That’s about it!
I use a 10-Quart Kalorik Digital Air Fryer Oven to develop air fryer recipes. The Ninja Foodi, Cosori, Pampered Chef Air Fryer, Actifry, Nuwave, Instant Vortex, Cuisinart, Philips, Power Air Fryer, etc. can also air fry summer squash. You may need to adjust the cooking times depending on which air fryer you use.
My air fryer oven has two large trays, and I used both for this recipe. If you have a small air fryer basket, you’ll need to cut this recipe in half or cook it in batches.
🔪 How to Make Squash in Air Fryer without Breading
How to cut yellow squash? Cut the ends off of the squash. I like to cut my yellow squash in half lengthwise, and then into ½-inch (1.27 cm) thick pieces.
Try to cut the summer squash into pieces of uniform thickness for more even cooking. They won’t all be exactly the same size, since yellow squash typically tapers off at one end.
Put the cut yellow squash in a medium-sized bowl. Drizzle the squash with oil and sprinkle on the seasoning. Give everything a good stir.
Spread the squash in a single flat layer on two air fryer trays. Don’t crowd the trays if you want the squash to be browned nicely. Cook the squash in batches if you don’t have enough room.
️⏲ Yellow Squash Air Fryer Cooking Time and Temperature
How long to air fry yellow squash? What temp to cook yellow squash in air fryer? Air fry summer squash for a total of 14 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200C).
Start by air frying the yellow squash for 7 minutes. (The squash on your top tray may be done at this point if you don’t want it very browned.)
Flip the squash, switch the position of the trays in the air fryer oven, and air fry 7 minutes more. That’s all there is to it!
Leftover yellow squash can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can reheat it in the microwave, on the stovetop, or in the air fryer. I like cooked summer squash leftovers with marinara sauce, in a curry, or as part of cold salad or pasta dishes.
You can try freezing yellow squash, but the texture when thawed may be different than fresh. Freeze yellow squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Then put the squash in freezer bags with the air pressed out for longer term storage. (This will help prevent the individual pieces from sticking together.)
There’s a risk that your frozen yellow squash will become mushy when thawed. The air fryer is a great way to defrost yellow squash because the dry heat helps to remove excess moisture.
🧂 Seasoning for Yellow Squash
What’s the best seasoning for yellow squash? I like to keep it simple with Everything Bagel seasoning. Here are some other yellow squash seasonings to try:
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Herbes de Provence
- Soy sauce or coconut aminos
- Black pepper
- Mrs. Dash seasoning
You could also go in a different direction and make air fryer breaded yellow squash with bread crumbs or pork panko.
🥗 How to Serve Yellow Squash
How to serve yellow squash? I would add a protein and a starch (either a starchy veggie or a grain) to my squash meal. For a keto meal with air fryer summer squash, add a protein and another non-starchy veggie instead.
Here are some foods to serve with yellow squash:
- Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings (Keto)
- Air Fryer Baby Carrots
- Frozen French Fries in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Crispy Air Fryer Pork Belly
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 1 recipe (may help support fat loss). Yellow squash is a super low-calorie side dish that can be incorporated into a variety of meals.
For weight loss, I’d add lean protein and some additional low-oil non-starchy veggies to your meal. The idea is to create a nutrient-dense meal that will help you stay full while maintaining a calorie deficit. This also creates a low carb meal (because many of the strategies to make filling low cal meals also reduce carbs).
For kiddos, athletes, and others who need more energy, add some starch to the plate. This can be a grain, such as rice, noodles, or bread. It could also mean some starchy veggies, such as corn, peas, sweet potatoes, or potatoes (in any form).
Another way to bump up the energy is to choose protein foods that are less protein dense (i.e., less protein per calorie). That can mean fattier meats (such as chicken with the skin) or carbohydrate-rich legumes.
The food components that people tend to find most filling are protein, fiber, and water. You’re getting plenty of water and some fiber with a generous serving of this yellow squash. (The squash is cooked with some healthy fat, because getting some fat in the diet is essential as well.)
The main thing that’s missing here to create a satiating meal is protein. A few examples of lean proteins that may help support a healthy weight include: skinless chicken breast, white fish (such as cod), shrimp, and egg white omelets. It can be difficult to eat an excessive amount of calories from lean protein food sources and non-starchy veggies.
Do you cook yellow squash with the skin on?
You don’t have to peel yellow squash, so save yourself some time and prevent food waste. You can eat yellow squash skin! This is a big benefit of summer squash. Unlike some of the winter squashes, you (usually) don’t need to peel summer varieties.
Is squash good in the air fryer?
Taste is subjective, but my family thinks summer squash in the air fryer turns out very well. It’s tender, slightly browned, and seasoned up just right. It’s one of my favorite ways to serve squash!
How to store yellow squash?
Uncut raw yellow squash will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Winter squashes tend to be a far better option for long-term storage. You can keep cured winter squash for 2-6 months at a cool temperature (55-60F/13-15.5C).
How to air fry frozen yellow squash?
Air fry frozen yellow squash using my directions for air fryer frozen zucchini. It’s a great way to enjoy your abundance of summer squash from the garden all year long!
How to microwave yellow squash?
The microwave is the fastest way to cook yellow squash. It steams squash with no browning. Put your cut summer squash in a bowl with some water and microwave on high for 2½-4 minutes. Stir and add microwave time if you’d like it softer.
How to deep fry yellow squash?
Here is a delish-looking recipe from Just a Pinch for deep fried summer squash. (Nutrition note: deep frying introduces a lot of refined flour for the batter and oil for frying. Deep fried squash is one of the least nutritious ways to serve this veg, but no surprises there, eh? Haha)
👩🏻🍳 More Air Fryer Summer Recipes
Want more air fryer recipes for the summer? Try these:
- Air Fryer S’mores
- Air Fryer Fish Sticks
- Mini Pepper Nachos
- Air Fryer Green Bean Fries
- Air Fryer Eggplant Fries
Watch How to Make It!
Squash in Air Fryer without Breading Recipe (Yellow Squash)
- Cut the ends off of the squash. Cut the summer squash in half lengthwise, and then into ½-inch (1.27 cm) thick pieces.
- Put the cut squash in a medium-sized bowl. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle on the seasoning. Give everything a good stir.
- Spread the squash in a single flat layer on two air fryer trays. Don’t crowd the trays if you want the squash to be browned nicely. Cook the squash in batches if you don’t have enough room.
- Air fry the squash for 7 minutes at 400°F (200°C). (The squash on the top tray may be done at this point if you don’t want it very browned.) Flip the squash, switch the position of the trays in the air fryer, and air fry 7 minutes more. Enjoy!
nutrition info disclaimer
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
Hello! I'm Summer, a registered dietitian and home chef who loves to cook, eat, and create high quality content for you! Every recipe on this site has been tested by me to help ensure your success in the kitchen. All eaters are welcome here 🙂