Can you air fry muffins? Yes! Learn how to make muffins in the air fryer with this easy air fryer banana muffins recipe. These are healthy banana muffins with no sugar added, and you don’t even need an air fryer muffin pan to make them! Get information on how long to air fry muffins, air fryer muffins cooking temperature, and more!
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
What’s soft, moist, flavorful, and makes a super grab-and-go breakfast? Oh, and it’s added sugar free as well (depending on the toppings you use).
These airfryer muffins, that’s what! I know you’re going to LOVE these easy homemade muffins. They’re made with a mix we’re making from scratch.
You can make these air fryer banana bread muffins even faster than you can pick up your favorite bakery muffins. And with DIY muffins, you can add any toppings or mix-ins you want. (Don’t miss the section on muffin topping suggestions below!)
Now, I know what you’re probably thinking. What about the texture of air fryer muffins?
If you follow my directions, your muffins will turn out soft and delicious. I am going to tell you everything you need to know to have success with this air fryer recipe.
Air frying muffins will save you a lot of time. Your muffins will be fully cooked in 10 minutes, the same time it takes to preheat most ovens. Plus, you can make muffins at any time of the year, without heating up the house with oven baking.
A word of warning, though. You might want to convert all of your muffin recipes to the air fryer after making these!
Table of Contents
- 📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
- ⭐ Air Fryer Banana Muffins Benefits
- 🥘 Air Fryer Banana Muffins Ingredients
- 🧁 Banana Muffin Toppings
- 🔪 How to Make Air Fryer Banana Muffins
- ⏲️ Air Fryer Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Cooking Time and Temperature
- 🥛 How to Serve Air Fryer Banana Muffins
- 🌡️ Leftovers
- 💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- 🍌 Other Recipes Using Ripe Bananas
- 👩🏻🍳 More Muffin Recipes
- 📖 Recipe
- 🔥 Oven Directions
- 💬 Comments
📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
One air fryer banana muffin has 88 calories, 14 grams net carbs, and 2.3 grams protein. This nutrition information does not include any toppings you choose to add.
⭐ Air Fryer Banana Muffins Benefits
Why are air fryer banana muffins good for you? Here are a few nutrition reasons (and other reasons) to make these:
- Under 100 calorie banana muffin: These muffins are under 100 calories each, a good option for WW and some others looking to lose weight. The small 4-muffin batch may make portion control easier.
- Low in saturated fat: These are banana muffins with no butter. They’re perfect if you’re looking to lower your saturated fat intake. (However, these muffins don’t stick to the muffin paper, despite containing sticky, sweet banana.)
- Calcium and protein: The milk powder in this recipe provides a little extra calcium and protein. It’s tastier and healthier (in the sense of being more nutritious).
- Whole grains: These muffins are made with whole grain spelt flour, with no refined grains. You get more fiber than you would with a white flour muffin.
- No added sugar: There’s no white sugar, maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, etc. in these muffins. (Well, unless you use a topping containing added sugar, such as chocolate chips.)
- Super simple: This recipe uses a lot of pantry-friendly ingredients (yes, it's fine to swap whole wheat flour for the spelt flour).
- Fast: For the best results, you don’t need to preheat the air fryer for this recipe. Your muffins will be done air frying in a mere 10 minutes!
- Delicious: Kids love this tasty and portable snack, and they’re great for school lunches. The taste like a basic banana bread, and you can add your favorite extras if you wish. Yummy!
🥘 Air Fryer Banana Muffins Ingredients
To make the basic air fried banana muffins, you only need eight simple ingredients:
- Ripe bananas
- Spelt flour
- Dry milk powder
- Avocado oil (or olive oil, or your favorite cooking oil)
- Baking powder
- Cooking oil spray (non-aerosol)
This muffin recipe is a super way to use up overripe bananas. I like to peel my ripe bananas, break them into chunks, and store them individually in freezer bags. After thawing (in the microwave or the fridge), they are ready to use in a variety of recipes.
Always use non-aerosol cooking spray in the air fryer. Some cooking sprays may damage the surface of certain air fryer baskets and trays.
You might notice in the photos that I made air fryer banana chocolate chip muffins. If you’d like to add toppings, I have suggestions in the toppings section below. The muffins are also naturally sweet and delicious when served plain.
🧁 Banana Muffin Toppings
There are lots of ways to top banana muffins! One idea is to slice a fresh banana thinly, and top each muffin with a banana slice before baking.
I loved this tasty option, but we decided the bananas looked sort of like squash on the muffins. It didn’t make for the most appetizing photos.
You could also try topping the muffins with other fruits. How about some blueberry banana muffins?
Alternatively, press some chopped walnuts into the muffin tops for banana walnut muffins in the air fryer. You could also use other chopped nuts (pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, etc.) or chopped peanuts.
I thought chocolate chips looked nicest on top of the muffins. If you want to keep your chocolate chip banana muffins with no sugar added, use Lily’s baking chips.
Here are the main pieces of kitchen equipment that you need for this recipe:
- Air fryer
- Potato masher or fork
- Non-stick paper laminate on foil muffin cups
I use a Kalorik Digital Air Fryer Oven to create my recipes. It has two trays instead of an air fryer basket. However, I only needed one of the trays for this recipe.
You may use the Ninja Foodi, Instant Vortex, Cuisinart, Philips, Pampered Chef Air Fryer, Actifry, Cosori, Nuwave, Power Air Fryer, etc. for this recipe. That said, you might need to adjust the muffin air frying time slightly if you use a different air fryer. Check the food frequently whenever you try a new air fryer recipe to ensure the cooking time is right.
The potato masher or fork is used for mashing the banana. The toothpick is for checking the doneness of the muffins.
I love non-stick paper-lined foil muffin cups because they hold their shape well. No muffin pan is needed! You could also try using silicone muffin cups, but it might impact the total baking time.
🔪 How to Make Air Fryer Banana Muffins
Let’s learn how to make muffins in the air fryer! Begin by mashing the banana until it is smooth.
Combine the flour, milk powder, baking powder, and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. Stir the mashed banana, oil, and liquid milk in a small bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
Put four paper-lined foil muffin cups in your air fryer basket or on your air fryer tray. Mist the muffin papers well with cooking spray. Divide the muffin batter evenly between the prepared muffin wrappers.
If you’ll be using a topping on the muffins, now is the time to do it! Gently press a banana slice into the top of each muffin or sprinkle each muffin with chocolate chips. Remember to slightly press the toppings into the uncooked muffins so they don’t fly around in the air fryer.
⏲️ Air Fryer Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Cooking Time and Temperature
How long to air fry muffins? What temperature to cook muffins in the air fryer? Air fry muffins for a total of 10 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit (163C).
If you’re using an air fryer oven, put the muffins on a rack in the MIDDLE of the air fryer. Do not use the top rack! I tried this, and the tops of the muffins cooked too quickly.
After the cooking time is up, stick a toothpick into the middle of one of the muffins. The toothpick should come out clean (or with a few crumbs attached) if the muffin is done. For the best texture, let the muffins cool to room temperature before eating.
See the recipe card below for oven directions as well!
What makes muffins light and fluffy? To make fluffy muffins, you need to use enough baking powder to get a good rise.
It’s also very important not to overmix the batter, as overmixing can lead to rubbery muffins. You want to stir well enough to bring the wet and dry ingredients together and then stop.
🥛 How to Serve Air Fryer Banana Muffins
What to serve with banana muffins? To extend your muffin into a low-calorie meal, add fresh fruit and a glass of milk or Greek yogurt on the side. You could drizzle your air fryer banana muffin with some almond butter (or another nut butter) for more healthy fat.
Leftover air fried muffins can be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for 1-2 days. (If you’re less picky, they may hold over 3-4 days, but there’s a risk they’ll be a little stale.)
Air fried banana muffins also freeze nicely. Freeze them in a food-safe freezer storage bag with the air pressed out. Allow to completely thaw in the refrigerator before enjoying.
💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 3 recipe (weight maintenance and active lifestyles). I'm giving this air fryer muffin recipe the bump to level 3 because it's a baked good with flour. However, if you have a fat loss goal, this treat is much easier to fit in compared to other muffin options.
Unlike most store-bought muffins, one air fryer banana muffin is under 100 calories. The next time you're shopping, check out how many calories your favorite bakery muffin is. Many will run you 300-500 calories per muffin, as much as a small meal!
Additionally, this is a small batch banana muffin. You're going to need to go to the trouble of mixing up another batch of muffin batter if you want more than four. This is one of the tricks I used to make overeating inconvenient while I was on my weight loss journey. Making the grab-and-go food options the ones that align with your goals may make it easier to stay on track!
Most muffin recipes make one dozen muffins. This is a lot of food for one- or two-person households, particularly for sedentary adults with lower energy needs.
If you have kids, and they like muffins, making a larger batch might make sense. You might also want to make a large batch of banana muffins in the air fryer if you have a lot of freezer space.
On the other hand, if you prefer fresh muffins or don't have a spare freezer, this small batch banana muffin recipe may be perfect for you. You can make yourself a few muffins when you want them. If you tend to overeat baked goods, lots of additional muffins won't be sitting around in the fridge calling your name.
Can you use paper muffin cups in an air fryer?
If your paper muffin liners are oven-safe, they should be safe to use in the air fryer as well. The downside of muffin papers is that they don’t hold their shape well. Another disadvantage is that low fat muffins tend to stick to the paper if it’s not oiled well.
Can you put muffin pan in air fryer?
You can use oven safe muffin pans in the air fryer. However, the pan has to be small enough to fit in the air fryer. Many air fryer baskets are too small to fit a muffin tin. Some air fryer ovens may be able to hold a 6-compartment muffin pan.
How do you use a silicone muffin pan in an air fryer?
Silicone muffin pans and individual silicone muffin cups can be used in an air fryer. They’re a great option because they’re non-stick and hold their shape well. The downside is that you can’t use silicone bakeware at higher temperatures. Check the product information for your silicone pan if you’re unsure of the max temp.
How to make muffins in the air fryer keto?
The grains and banana in air fryer banana muffins are high in carbohydrates. You could try making savory air fryer egg muffins for a very low carb and gluten free alternative. You may be able to adapt this keto hash brown egg cup recipe to the air fryer.
How to make air fryer muffins vegan?
To make vegan air fryer muffins, swap out the dairy milk and milk powder for soy alternatives. Here is a soy milk powder that you can try. (IMVHO, it’s good to have some dry milk powder on hand in case of emergencies, but I digress.)
🍌 Other Recipes Using Ripe Bananas
Need some other ways to use ripe bananas? I’m on it! Try one of these recipes with bananas:
👩🏻🍳 More Muffin Recipes
Want even more recipes for muffins? Check these out:
- Kodiak Cakes Blueberry Muffins
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Muffins (These are grain-free and gluten-free muffins that are packed with fruits and veggies!)
- Chocolate Banana Protein Muffins
Watch How to Make It!
Air Fryer Banana Muffins Recipe
- 1 medium mashed banana, very ripe (5-6 tablespoons)
- 4 tablespoons spelt flour (40 grams)
- 2 tablespoons instant dry milk powder (12 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon avocado oil
- 1½ tablespoons milk, 2%
- cooking oil spray (non-aerosol)
- muffin toppings (optional; could used 4 slices of banana or 1 tablespoon chocolate chips)
- If you haven't already, mash the banana until it's smooth.
- Combine the flour, milk powder, baking powder, and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. Stir the mashed banana, oil, and liquid milk in a small bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Put four paper-lined foil muffin cups in your air fryer basket or on your air fryer tray. Mist the muffin papers well with cooking spray. Divide the muffin batter evenly between the prepared muffin wrappers. If using toppings, gently press them into the tops of the uncooked muffins.
- If you’re using an air fryer oven, put the muffins on a rack in the middle of the air fryer. Air fry for 10 minutes at 325°F (163°C).
- After the cooking time is up, stick a toothpick into the middle of one of the muffins. The toothpick should come out clean (or with a few crumbs attached). For the best texture, let the muffins cool to room temperature before eating.
🔥 Oven DirectionsPreheat the oven to 425F (218C). Put four muffin papers in a muffin pan and mist them well with cooking spray. Make the banana muffin batter as described above. Divide the batter equally between the four prepared muffin liners. Bake for 10-12 minutes on the top rack of the oven (⅓ down). When finished baking, a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin will come out clean. The exact cooking time will depend on how watery the banana you started with was. For the best texture, let your muffin cool to room temperature before eating. Nutrition information is for one banana muffin with no toppings.
nutrition info disclaimer
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
Hello! I'm Summer, a registered dietitian and home chef who loves to cook, eat, and create high quality content for you! Every recipe on this site has been tested by me to help ensure your success in the kitchen. All eaters are welcome here 🙂