Learn how to make kale apple slaw! My healthy kale slaw with apples is a twist on the kale and apple slaw at Tropical Smoothie Café. You’ll love how easy this kale coleslaw is to make. This recipe is a great way to use Mann’s Power Blend, a mix of shredded veggies that need no preparation. Forget plain, soggy cabbage coleslaw – this apple kale slaw is filled with a variety of colors and flavors!
What is kale apple slaw? It is pure magic, that’s what.
Today we’re covering how to make Tropical Smoothie Kale Apple Slaw. This is a popular vegetarian and gluten-free side dish from the Tropical Smoothie Café in the United States.
However, as always, I’ve got some tricks up my sleeve to make this healthy kale coleslaw even more nutritious and delicious. For one, I’ve packed in even more fruits and veggies than you’ll find in the original version.
Kale, apples, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, Napa cabbage, carrots, Medjool dates, and sunflower seeds mingle with a creamy yogurt-tahini dressing. The taste and texture of this healthier coleslaw is truly out of this world.
The secret ingredient in this one is the veggie slaw blend. I’ve made this a Manns Power Blend recipe, but your favorite broccoli slaw mix should work here too.
I mean, you could go to the trouble of getting fresh kale leaves. And then cleaning them, removing the woody stems, chopping them finely... Oh, and then you’ll need to tenderize the kale in some way, typically by massaging it for a few minutes.
Why not take the easy route though, and use a prepared slaw mix? It’s a HUGE time saver, because all of the veggie cleaning, chopping, etc. has been done for you.
⭐ Kale Apple Slaw Benefits
What are the benefits of making Kale apple slaw? Here are some reasons you’ll love this Mann’s Power Blend recipe:
- Easy prep: With bagged slaw mix, you don’t have to spend an hour chopping, and there’s no need to tenderize or massage the kale in any way. Sometimes you even have to do this with bagged kale pieces. We’re avoiding that time suck by using a bagged vegetable slaw blend.
- No added sugar: There’s something in classic coleslaw that you are NOT getting here, and that is added sugar. With the sweet dates and apples, you shouldn’t miss it.
- Nutritious: This antioxidant-packed healthy coleslaw is an excellent source of vitamin A and vitamin C. It’s also rich in fiber.
- Gluten-free: Like Tropical Smoothie’s coleslaw, this kale slaw recipe is naturally gluten free. (Be cautious of cross-contact issues during food preparation if you have celiac disease.)
- More protein: Most slaw recipes use gobs and gobs of mayo. I decided to keep some of the mayonnaise for richness, but I also mixed in some plain yogurt and tahini. These ingredients help make this a higher protein coleslaw.
- Versatile: You can swap out the sunflower seeds here for sliced almonds, chopped walnuts or pecans. Try dried figs or raisins in place of the dates, or make a green apple slaw with Granny Smith apples instead of red apples. It’s easy to customize this recipe to make it however you’d like it best.
- Potluck dish: Kale slaw with apples is perfect for picnics, BBQ get togethers, and other gatherings. Whip up a batch and see how quickly this crowd pleaser disappears!
- Delicious: Regular coleslaw can be a bit boring; honestly, I’ve never been a huge fan. This spin on slaw is different- it's crisp, tastes great, and is a beautiful rainbow of colors.
🥘 Kale Apple Slaw Ingredients
What are the ingredients for kale apple slaw? Here’s what to pick up at the grocery store:
- Mann’s Power Blend Super Food mix
- Unpeeled chopped apple
- Finely chopped red onion
- Toasted sunflower seeds
- Pitted Medjool dates
- Non-fat plain yogurt (not Greek yogurt, it’s too thick)
- Maple syrup or sugar-free syrup
- Fresh lime juice
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried dill
- Salt and pepper
What is Mann’s Power Blend? Mann’s Power Blend contains all of the following shredded veggies:
- Brussels sprouts
- Napa cabbage
- Green kale leaves
It’s unlikely I would prepare small amounts of all of these vegetables for a single dish. Honestly, it’s just too much trouble.
I liked that you get all of these superfoods in a single bag with Mann’s Power Blend. You get a more diverse array of phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals from eating a wider variety of veggies versus eating just one type.
With this product, all of the work is done for you. All you have to do is dump it in a bowl and stir in the rest of the slaw ingredients. Love it! Some other ideas for Mann’s Power Blend recipes include using it in stir fry or salads.
You can use any apple that has a flavor you enjoy for this recipe. I love Cortland apples, though honey crisp would be lovely too.
Medjool dates are fresh dates that you can find in the produce section of supermarkets. You could substitute with dried dates from the baking aisle, but they just aren’t as flavorful, IMVHO.
Tahini is a sesame seed base that is a popular ingredient in hummus (such as this pink hummus). It’s quite bitter and benefits from some added sweetness. To keep this dish added sugar free, use sugar-free maple syrup in the dressing.
To make kale apple slaw, here is the kitchen equipment you need:
- A good knife
You also need a big bowl to mix the slaw, and a smaller bowl to mix the dressing. No fancy kitchen gadgets for this one!
🔪 How to Make Kale Apple Slaw
Begin by prepping the fruits and veggies. (Yup, we’re practicing mise en place!)
The Manns Power Blend Superfood Mix is good to go. However, you need to chop the apple into ½-inch dice (1.27 cm), finely chop the red onion, and chop the dates.
Put the Power blend, apple, onion, dates, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Admire how pretty it looks and give it a good stir. Can you believe we’re practically done with this easy recipe?
🥗 Kale Slaw Dressing Recipe
All that’s left to do is make the kale slaw dressing. This sweet and tangy dressing really makes the dish!
Put the mayo, yogurt, tahini, syrup, juice, garlic powder, onion powder, dill, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk until it is smooth.
Pour the dressing over the top of your veggies and fruits and stir to combine. That’s all you have to do for this dinner side dish!
BTW, if you don’t like tahini, feel free to substitute with your favorite dressing. Creamy honey mustard dressing or poppy seed dressing would be nice options. The nutrition information for the recipe will change with any substitutions made.
You could also use apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, or orange juice instead of lime juice.
You can keep leftover kale apple slaw in a covered container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. The greens get soggy if they sit too long, since they’ve already been dressed. Also, depending on the variety of apple you use, it may brown if left to sit.
Can you freeze coleslaw? I do not recommend freezing kale apple slaw, as the mayo will separate when it defrosts. Also, the apples and greens will get mushier and it just won’t be as good overall.
🥬 What to serve with Kale Apple Slaw?
This Mann’s Power Blend slaw is great as a side dish or use it to top a burger or sandwich. (Hot tip: these Frozen Burgers in Air Fryer would be wonderful topped with kale slaw). Try it alongside some buttery corn on the cob and barbecue pork ribs at your next cookout!
You’re getting veggies and fruits in this slaw, but the dish doesn’t provide enough protein to make it a meal. Here are some protein-packed main dishes that go with coleslaw:
📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
One serving of kale apple slaw has 280 calories, 26.1 grams net carbs, and 4.8 grams protein. This is for a serving of slaw made with maple syrup. If you make kale apple slaw without sugar added (i.e., using sugar-free syrup) the stats are 257 calories, 20.2 grams net carbs, and 4.8 grams protein.
💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 3 recipe (weight maintenance and active lifestyles). The nutrition information provided is for a realistic serving size, ¼ of the recipe. However, you could stretch this slaw recipe into 6 servings if you are feeding a larger crowd.
This slaw has an excellent nutrition profile, packed with essential vitamins, healthy fats from seeds, and fiber. However, it’s definitely a side dish since it is relatively low in protein. Make sure to include some protein foods when you compose your meal.
I often post single entrée or side dish recipes. However, it is important to think about how each of these components might fit into the meal as a whole.
If you have a weight loss goal, higher-calorie side dishes (such as this one) are best served with lean proteins. By lean proteins, I’m referring to foods like extra lean beef burgers (bunless) or chicken breast. Since this slaw has almost 300 calories, using lighter (low-calorie) foods for the rest of the meal will help to balance things out.
On the other hand, if you’re serving fatty meat (e.g., ribs), it may be best to go light on the sides. One of my easiest go-to low-calorie sides is a side salad of leafy greens with 1 tablespoon of dressing.
How to make kale slaw vegan?
To make vegan kale slaw, you need to substitute the mayonnaise and yogurt for your favorite plant-based alternatives. Unsweetened calcium-fortified soy yogurt would be my top pick for a dairy yogurt replacement nutritionally. Unfortunately, it can be much harder to find compared to (often) protein-poor coconut yogurt and almond yogurt.
How to make keto kale slaw?
Making kale slaw low carb is a bit trickier. You will need to omit the dates and apples, and be sure to use sugar-free syrup in the dressing. You may need to add more syrup since you’re no longer getting the natural sweetness from apples and dates.
What can I add to kale slaw to make it tastier?
The answer to this question is completely subjective, as it depends on the foods you enjoy. Do pepitas, dried cranberries, dried apricots, or shredded coconut sound good? If so, add it in! You know your taste buds best, so chase the flavor combinations that sound delish to you.
Where can I buy Mann’s Power Blend?
You can find Manns Power Blend Salad Mix at many popular grocery store chains, such as Kroger, ShopRite, and Whole Foods. Remember that you can substitute with a bag of broccoli slaw, cabbage slaw mix, or another veggie slaw if you can’t find it.
👩🏻🍳 Other Healthy Side Dish Recipes
Want more healthy recipes for side dishes? Try these next:
- Air Fryer Cabbage Steaks
- Air Fryer Frozen Vegetables
- Refrigerator Dill Pickles (No Sugar)
- Air Fryer Baby Carrots
Watch How to Make It!
Kale Apple Slaw (Mann's Power Blend Recipe)
- 10 ounces Mann's Power Blend superfood mix with kale 284 grams (or use a bag of your favorite undressed broccoli or cabbage slaw mix)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped apple (do not peel!)
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds (shelled and toasted)
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
For the kale slaw dressing:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup yogurt, plain, low-fat (regular, not Greek yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (use sugar-free maple syrup to keep this recipe added sugar free)
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- ½ tablespoon lime juice, fresh squeezed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- salt and pepper, to taste
To make kale apple slaw:
- Chop the apple into ½-inch dice (1.27 cm), finely chop the red onion, and chop the dates.
- Add the Power Blend, onion, apples, sunflower seeds, and dates to a large bowl. Stir.
To make kale slaw dressing:
- Whisk all of the "for the kale slaw dressing" ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the top of the kale mixture and stir to combine. Enjoy!
nutrition info disclaimer
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
Hello! I'm Summer, a registered dietitian and home chef who loves to cook, eat, and create high quality content for you! Every recipe on this site has been tested by me to help ensure your success in the kitchen. All eaters are welcome here 🙂