Enjoy the flavors of the pumpkin spice latte (PSL) at Starbucks or Tim Horton’s in this healthy pumpkin spice overnight oats recipe! My pumpkin spice latte overnight oats have way less sugar than your favorite coffee drink. However, this pumpkin overnight oatmeal is packed with fiber and protein to make it more filling than a sweet beverage. Learn to make it gluten free, get vegan pumpkin overnight oats options, and more!
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and we'll send it straight to your inbox. Plus you'll get great new recipes from us every week!
Sometimes I just want a Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew or Pumpkin Spice Latte. Unfortunately, I know a Starbucks pumpkin drink isn’t going to be enough to satisfy this hungry girl. That is where these overnight oats with pumpkin puree come in.
This is a recipe for pumpkin overnight oats- no sugar added. We’re using dates to add sweetness to the pumpkin spiced goodness. Along with the whole grains, pumpkin, and protein-packed yogurt, this recipe is a great way to power up your morning.
I usually keep this overnight oats recipe caffeine-free so it’s perfect for kids (yup, even caffeine-free coffee has some caffeine). If you need an energy boost, there’s no reason you couldn’t add some cold brew coffee, espresso, or even coffee syrup. A little strong-brewed chai tea is an alternative to provide great flavor.
This is one of my favorite overnight oats recipes. I hope you love this healthier way to enjoy pumpkin season as much as I do!
Table of Contents
- 📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
- ⭐ Pumpkin Spice Latte Overnight Oats Benefits
- 🥘 Pumpkin Spice Latte Overnight Oats Ingredients
- 🔪 How to Make Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oats
- ️️🌡️ Leftovers
- 💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- 🎃 Other Pumpkin Recipes
- 👩🏻🍳 More Fall Overnight Oats Recipes
- 📖 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
One serving of pumpkin pie overnight oats has 611 calories, 78.8 grams net carbs, and 27.4 grams protein. Nutrition information is for the overnight oats topped with walnuts, without whipped cream.
⭐ Pumpkin Spice Latte Overnight Oats Benefits
Why are these the best pumpkin overnight oats? Here are some reasons I think you’re going to love this easy recipe:
- Great way to use leftover pumpkin: It seems like there’s always a little pumpkin left in the can after making pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, or pumpkin pie. Don’t let your leftover canned pumpkin go to waste- use it here!
- Protein: This overnight oats recipe includes over 25 grams of protein, mostly from Greek yogurt and milk. Unlike most oatmeal recipes, these oats give you enough protein to make it a full meal.
- Fiber: Oatmeal is a whole grain that is packed with fiber. If you’ve been looking to increase the fiber in your diet, these oats have over 14 grams of fiber to help.
- Added sugar free: Maple syrup, honey, agave, brown sugar, or another sweetener are usually added to overnight oats. This pumpkin overnight oatmeal recipe is unique because it has no sugar added. (Well, unless you add the whipped cream. Haha)
- Filling: Pumpkin spice drinks and other sugar sweetened beverages don’t tend to be very filling. This pumpkin spice overnight oat recipe has plenty of protein and fiber, things that tend to be lacking in sweet drinks.
- Gluten free: These are gluten free pumpkin overnight oats, as long as you use certified gluten free oats.
- Easy: These are no cook oats, so we won’t be dirtying a pan. Basically, all you do is stir everything together, pop it in a jar, and let it sit in the fridge. So simple!
- Delicious: This oatmeal tastes like pumpkin pie or the PSL (depending on whether you add the coffee). What’s not to love? So tasty!
🥘 Pumpkin Spice Latte Overnight Oats Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make pumpkin spice latte overnight oats:
- Dry oatmeal
- Pitted Medjool dates
- Hot water or hot coffee
- Canned pumpkin
- Chia seeds
- Plain Greek yogurt (I used non-fat yogurt)
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Milk (I used 2% milk but skim, whole, or plant-based milks will work here)
- Chopped walnuts
- Whipped cream and cinnamon (optional, for serving)
You want either old fashioned rolled oats or quick oats for this recipe. Don’t use steel cut oats, they won’t soften up enough. Instant oats (like from an oatmeal packet) tend to make mushy overnight oats.
Medjool dates are fresh dates usually found in the produce section of the supermarket. Don’t try and substitute with dried dates from the baking aisle.
You can use water or coffee in this recipe for overnight oats. If you’ll be serving these pumpkin spice oats to kids, I highly recommend using water! Caffeinated kids may not make for a fun day. Haha
If using coffee, use strong brewed coffee to maximize the coffee flavor. Alternatively, use espresso or use water and add a little coffee syrup before refrigeration.
Recipe quantities are listed in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
To make pumpkin spice latte oatmeal, you need the following kitchen equipment:
- Wide-mouth pint-sized mason jar with lid
- Food processor
Glass canning jars are really handy to have for a variety of kitchen projects, including overnight oatmeal recipes. The pint size is wonderful to use for drinking glasses too.
The food processor will be used to make date puree, our sweetener in this recipe. It’s also possible to buy dates that have already been pureed in some grocery stores. If you can find them, you don’t need the food processor.
If you’ll be topping the oats with whipped cream and cinnamon, I also recommend a baker’s dusting wand. The dusting wand does a great job of getting a coffee shop-perfect sprinkle of cinnamon on your oat latte.
🔪 How to Make Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oats
Let’s make pumpkin spice latte overnight oats! Begin by soaking the pitted dates in hot coffee or hot water for 5 minutes. This will help to soften them up for easier blending.
After the soaking time is up, put the dates and the liquid in a food processor and blend until smooth. You may need to stop the food processor a few times and scrape down the sides with a spatula if the dates are sticking. It essentially becomes a smooth date caramel.
If you have a big food processor, it’s better to puree the dates in a large batch for several overnight oats jars. After blending, allow the date paste to cool to room temperature before mixing with the other ingredients. You don’t want to risk the hot date mixture curdling the milk.
In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the oats, pumpkin, date puree, chia, yogurt, pumpkin pie spice, milk, and vanilla. Put the mixture in the pint canning jar. Top with chopped walnuts and put the lid on the jar.
Refrigerate the oats overnight (or for up to 3-4 days). You can top the oats with whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon (if desired) right before serving.
How to store overnight oats? Overnight oatmeal can be kept in a lidded container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I like to make several jars ahead of time for a grab-and-go breakfast on busy weekday mornings.
💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 2 recipe (transition or weight maintenance). Though this recipe works as a complete meal, it’s a bit high in calories for most weight watchers. Also, with almost 80 grams of net carbs per serving, it’s not appropriate for low carb diets.
To make your pumpkin pie refrigerator oats low calorie, skip the walnuts and cut back on the dates. You could use a non-nutritive sweetener as an alternative to the dates, if you wish. On the other hand, use whole milk dairy products if you need a higher energy meal.
Why is this pumpkin spice oatmeal high in carbs? Whole grains, such as oatmeal, are high carb but they are not the only contributor. You’re also getting carbohydrates from natural sugars in dairy products and dates, plus pumpkin, which is a starchy veggie.
I was able to lose weight and achieve permanent fat loss without completely giving up high carb foods. In fact, I’d sometimes eat oats daily while losing weight! However, I remained mindful of the portions of certain carby foods that I found easy to overeat, such as dates.
BTW, that doesn’t mean that dates are bad or unhealthy. They’re definitely a more nutritious way to sweeten oats compared to table sugar. Unlike white sugar, which is mostly empty calories, dates are rich in fiber, several B vitamins, and various minerals.
It’s important to remember that the recipe levels aren’t an indicator of how nutritious the recipe is. There are low-volume, high calorie foods that are nutritious and easy for many to overeat. There are also high-volume, low-calorie foods that are largely devoid of essential nutrients (e.g., sugar-free Jell-O).
How to make pumpkin overnight oats vegan?
To make vegan pumpkin overnight oats, you will need to find substitutions for the milk and yogurt. Unsweetened almond milk, oat milk, and soy milk can all replace the milk. You can use a plant-based yogurt in place of the Greek dairy yogurt. Keep in mind protein, calcium, phosphorus, selenium, iodine, and zinc may be lower with these plant-based swaps.
How to make pumpkin overnight oats without yogurt?
If you don’t want to use yogurt in this recipe, you can use your favorite coconut cream or cashew cream instead. The nutrition information for your finished recipe will be different with these substitutions. Specifically, the finished overnight oats will likely be lower in protein, calcium, and vitamin B12.
How to make pumpkin spice overnight oats without pumpkin puree?
If you don’t want to use pumpkin puree, try unseasoned butternut squash puree instead. I’ve seen this sold in cans, just like pumpkin puree. You could also make your own with fresh squash.
Can you make pumpkin overnight oats without chia seeds?
Yes, you can make pumpkin overnight oats with no chia seeds! Use 1 teaspoon of ground flax seeds in place of the chia. Flax meal also has some thickening power.
Do you eat overnight oats cold or warm?
Overnight oatmeal is most commonly eaten warm. However, you are welcome to microwave it on high for 1-2 minutes (in a microwave-safe bowl) to warm it up. Stir in the yogurt after heating.
What is the best overnight oats container?
My favorite containers for overnight oats are glass canning jars. The best size for most overnight oats recipes is pint-size jars. Get the wide-mouth canning jars because they are easier to fill with thick oat mixtures.
🎃 Other Pumpkin Recipes
Need some other ideas for using canned pumpkin? Check these out next:
- Air Fryer Soup (Black Bean Soup with Pumpkin Swirl)
- Meatloaf in Air Fryer with Pumpkin BBQ topping
- Pumpkin Spice Nice Cream
👩🏻🍳 More Fall Overnight Oats Recipes
Want more recipes for overnight oats that are perfect for autumn? Here you go:
Watch How to Make It!
Pumpkin Spice Latte Overnight Oats (PSL Oatmeal Recipe)
- ⅓ cup rolled oats (dry old fashioned oats or quick oats; certified gluten free if needed)
- 80 grams Medjool dates, pitted (about 4-5 dates)
- ¼ cup hot water (or hot coffee)
- 5.3 ounce Greek yogurt, non-fat (150 grams; plain, unsweetened)
- ¼ cup milk, 2%
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup whipped cream (optional, for topping)
- cinnamon (optional, for topping)
- Soak the dates in the hot water or hot coffee for five minutes.
- Blend the dates and water together in a food processor until well-pureed. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides of the processor a few times with a spatula to get things smooth. Let the date puree cool to room temperature.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the oats, pumpkin, date puree, chia, yogurt, pumpkin pie spice, milk, and vanilla. Combine well.
- Put the overnight oat mixture into a pint-sized wide-mouth jar. Sprinkle the walnuts on top.
- Put the lid on the jar and refrigerate overnight. If you make several jars ahead of time, they will last 3-4 days.
- If desired, you can top the oats with whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon right before serving. Yum!
nutrition info disclaimer
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
Hello! I'm Summer, a registered dietitian and home chef who loves to cook, eat, and create high quality content for you! Every recipe on this site has been tested by me to help ensure your success in the kitchen. All eaters are welcome here 🙂