How long to cook frozen waffle fries in air fryer? Get air fryer directions for Ore-Ida Golden Waffle Fries and frozen sweet potato waffle fries in the air fryer! You’ll love how crispy air fryer waffle fries are and how easy this one ingredient air fryer recipe is to make. This recipe works for all your favorite waffle fry brands, including Alexia, Ore Ida, and McCains.
Sometimes it’s nice to enjoy a treat, and these air fryer frozen waffle fries are oh-so delicious. As always, I have tips on making low calorie waffle fries and healthy homemade waffle fries below. I think it’s important to have a variety of options!
Speaking of variety, these air fryer frozen waffle cut fries are great because you can use whatever french fry seasoning you want. Frozen fries usually have added salt. Feel free to add black pepper, BBQ seasoning, Cajun spices, Italian seasoning, or whatever else sounds good.
Frozen fries from the store are one of the easiest things to make in an air fryer. They’re a great project for air fryer beginners. My top tip to remember is that cooking time is shorter with fewer fries.
If you cut this recipe in half, your air frying time will be less. If you add more fries to the air fryer, the air fryer time will be greater. This aspect of air frying is different than oven baking, and it’s important to keep in mind.
- ⭐ Benefits
- 🥘 Frozen Waffle Fries in Air Fryer Ingredients
- 🍽 Equipment
- 🔪 How to Make Air Fryer Waffle Fries
- ️⏲️ Cooking Time and Temperature
- 🌡️ Reheating Waffle Fries in Air Fryer
- 🍟 Dipping Sauce for Waffle Fries
- 🍔 What tastes good with waffle fries?
- 📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
- 💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- 👩🏻🍳 Other Air Fryer Fries Recipes
- The Disclaimer…
- 📖 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
Why make Air Fryer Waffle Fries? Here are some reasons to make frozen waffle fries in the air fryer:
- Not greasy: Frozen waffle fries already have a lot of oil, and deep frying adds more oil, potentially leading to greasy fries. Air frying with dry heat keeps waffle fries crisp without the greasiness. Air frying is a healthier method of cooking too.
- Crispy fries with no burning: Sweet potato waffle fries in particular are super easy to burn in the oven. With an air fryer, you’ll get perfectly crispy and crunchy waffle fries every time without burning. Air fried waffle fries are the best!
- Less expensive than Chick-Fil-A: You will (in general) get more fries for the money when you buy frozen waffle fries versus Chick-Fil-A waffle fries. (More fries probably isn’t the best thing in terms of health, but it may help the grocery budget.)
- Easy side dish: All you need is one ingredient to make frozen waffle fries. You don’t need a formal recipe, with a lot of chopping and measuring. It’s one of the easiest air fryer side dishes you can make.
- Vegan: Waffle fries from the store are typically vegetarian and vegan. The Ore-Ida Waffle Fries I’m using are a vegan option.
- Delicious: It’s safe to say that many think fries are one of the tastiest vegetables you can eat. Though they’re not the most nutritious way to eat your veggies, even picky eaters tend to like them.
🥘 Frozen Waffle Fries in Air Fryer Ingredients
All you need to make frozen waffle fries in the air fryer is a bag of waffle fries. I tested this recipe with Ore-Ida Golden Waffle Fries and Alexia Waffle Cut Sweet Potato Fries. The cooking time was the same for both brands.
You don’t need cooking oil or cooking spray for this recipe. Store-bought waffle fries tend to contain plenty of oil without needing to add more.
I do recommend having your favorite fry sauce on hand, however. I have some suggestions for what sauces go best with waffle fries below.
All you need to make waffle fries is an air fryer; I use a 10-Quart Kalorik Air Fryer Oven. The Ninja Foodi, Philips, Nuwave, Pampered Chef, Actifry, Instant Pot Vortex, Cosori, Breville, and other air fryers can also be used. Cooking times may need to be slightly adjusted depending on your air fryer brand.
🔪 How to Make Air Fryer Waffle Fries
Let’s air fry waffle fries! This is so ridiculously easy.
Simply take your fries and spread them out in the air fryer basket or air fryer tray. It’s ok if the fries overlap a bit; some are likely to be stuck together. Put the tray with the fries in the top rack position if you have an air fryer oven.
️⏲️ Cooking Time and Temperature
How long do you air fry frozen waffle fries? What temperature to air fry waffle fries? It takes a total of 12-14 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200C) to cook waffle fries in the air fryer.
Begin by air frying waffle fries for 6 minutes. Then flip the fries over. If the fries on the edges are browning more, move them to the middle of the tray.
Put the tray back in the air fryer and air fry an additional 6 minutes at 400F (200C). If the fries are not done to your liking, flip once more and air fry 2 more minutes. That’s all there is to it!
Remember that the amount of fries you start with matters. When I tried cooking half the number of fries, the cooking time was halved as well.
🌡️ Reheating Waffle Fries in Air Fryer
Waffle fries are best enjoyed freshly cooked. If you have leftover waffle fries, you can keep them in a covered refrigerator in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat waffle fries in the air fryer at 350F (177C) for 4-5 minutes (use the top rack of the air fryer oven).
🍟 Dipping Sauce for Waffle Fries
IMVHO, ketchup is the best sauce for regular waffle fries, and barbecue sauce is king for sweet potato waffle fries. There are no added sugar options for many of your favorite dips, if you want them. Here are some favorites:
🍔 What tastes good with waffle fries?
What goes with waffle fries? Here are a few ideas for main dishes for fries:
If you’re cooking something else in the air fryer after the fries, the cooking time may be shortened. This is because you’ve preheated the air fryer cooking waffle fries.
📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
One serving of air fryer waffle fries has 147 calories, 14 grams net carbs, and 1 gram protein. Nutrition information provided is for Ore-Ida waffle fries, and will vary depending on the brand you use. This nutrition information does not include any dipping sauces you choose to add.
💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 3 recipe (weight maintenance and active lifestyles). I am keeping the serving size of this recipe relatively small, so there’s plenty of room for more nutritious options on the plate. That said, I know that realistically many are going to eat this whole batch of yummy fries by themselves. Needless to say, fries are not the best side dish option if you have a weight loss goal.
Homemade waffle fries do have some advantages over waffle fries from the store. For example, you can skip unwanted additives, added sugar, and you can use whatever oil you prefer. Store-bought fries typically contain vegetable or seed oils that are not Paleo and Whole30-diet compatible.
DIY waffle fries may be healthier in some sense, but they are not necessarily any lower in calories than fries from the store. You could make the argument that since homemade fries aren’t ultra-processed foods, you might be less likely to overeat them. IDK about you, but I think I could overeat delicious homemade waffle fries about as easily as bagged waffle fries.
So, what is a low-calorie substitute for french fries? There are actually several low carb and keto vegetables that can work for low calorie fries. For example, try cutting jicama into waffle fry shapes and making air fryer jicama fries.
If you want low cal fries, be sure to air fry or bake them, don’t deep fry. You’ll also want to skip breading them in pork panko (or regular bread crumbs), or loading them with bacon, cheese, and sour cream. Stick with lighter dipping sauces, such as salsa.
To make homemade waffle fries, you’ll need a mandoline slicer that can cut waffle fry shapes, such as this one. After slicing the fries, you can air fry them like other freshly cut fries. Adjust the cooking times here: Air Fryer Frozen French Fries depending on how thick your waffle fries are.
To make waffle fries, you need a mandoline like this one that can make ripple cuts. To make waffle cut fries, you make a ripple cut, then turn the potato 90 degrees and slice it again. Delish has an interesting video illustrating the waffle fry cutting process that you can watch here.
The number one reason for soggy air fryer fries is that the fries were overcrowded in the air fryer. It’s ok if your waffle fries overlap a bit and are frozen together when you start air frying. Make sure to separate the previously stuck fries when it’s time to flip them.
For the best results, follow the oven baking directions on the package of your frozen waffle fries. Ore-Ida waffle fries should be baked in an oven preheated to 450F (232C). Cook a half bag of fries for 12-20 minutes and a full bag for 20-26 minutes.
👩🏻🍳 Other Air Fryer Fries Recipes
Need more fries recipes for the air fryer? I’ve got you! Here are some air fryer recipes to check out next:
- Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
- How to Reheat McDonalds Fries (Air Fryer)
- Air Fryer Green Bean Fries
- Air Fryer Eggplant Fries
Don’t miss my other Air Fryer Frozen Foods recipes as well!
Join our community! Subscribe to the Weekly Newsletter to be kept up-to-date on all of the latest and greatest recipes! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube!
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be wildly inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
For more information on how the three recipe levels may help with a weight management goal, refer to my overnight oats no sugar post. Let's get cooking!
Waffle Fries in Air Fryer Recipe with Time and Temp
- 8 ounces frozen waffle cut fries (227 grams)
- dipping sauce (optional)
- Spread the fries out on an air fryer tray. It’s ok if the fries overlap a bit; some are likely to be frozen together. Put the tray with the fries in the top rack position if you have an air fryer oven.
- Air fry for 6 minutes at 400°F (200°C). Flip the fries over. If the fries on the edges are browning more, move them to the middle of the tray. Air fry an additional 6 minutes. If the fries are not done to your liking, flip once more and air fry 2 more minutes. (12-14 minutes total air frying time)
- Serve with dipping sauce, if desired.
Leave a Comment