Can you air fry Canadian bacon (AKA peameal bacon or back bacon)? You bet! Learn to cook Canadian bacon in the air fryer with this easy recipe. These air fryer Canadian bacon egg muffins are low calorie, low carb, keto, and gluten free. You'll love this lower fat substitute for bacon and sausage that will pack more protein into breakfast!
- 🤔 What is Canadian bacon?
- ⭐ Canadian Bacon Air Fryer Benefits
- 🥘 Ingredients for Canadian Bacon Air Fryer Recipe
- 🔪 How to Cook Canadian Bacon (Air Fryer)
- ⏲️ Cooking Time and Temperature
- ❓ Does Canadian bacon get crispy?
- 🌡️ Can you freeze Canadian bacon?
- 😋 What to eat with Canadian bacon?
- 📋Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
- 💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- 👨🏾🍳 Other Air Fryer Recipes with Bacon
- The Disclaimer…
- 📖 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
🤔 What is Canadian bacon?
Is Canadian bacon ham? Not exactly. Canadian-style bacon comes from the back of the pig, while ham is from the butt or back legs.
This is why Canadian bacon is called “back bacon” in the UK. In Canada, they call Canadian bacon “peameal bacon.” Peameal bacon is often sliced thicker than US Canadian bacon, and it’s been rolled in cornmeal.
Regular bacon in the US (what they call “streaky bacon” in the UK) is cut from the belly of the pig. Typical US bacon is a fatty meat compared to lean Canadian bacon.
For this recipe, you can cook peameal bacon in air fryer, or Canadian bacon, or back bacon. You may need to use more or fewer slices per serving depending on the size of the pieces.
⭐ Canadian Bacon Air Fryer Benefits
Why make this peameal bacon air fryer recipe? Here are a few reasons for you:
- Lean protein: Unlike regular US bacon, Canadian bacon counts as a lean protein. That means it is a low fat protein source. It is also protein dense, meaning you get a lot of protein by calorie.
- Filling breakfast: Since this Canadian bacon breakfast recipe is packed with protein, it will help you make a filling meal. Add some fruits or veggies for low-calorie volume, and this entrée should hold you over until lunch!
- Weight watchers: This Canadian bacon and eggs recipe is also perfect if your goal is weight loss. At only 100 calories per serving, it’s easy to fit a few into your low calorie breakfast.
- Low carb, keto, gluten free: Canadian bacon is also a very low carb, keto, and gluten-free friendly food. Make sure to check the label of your Canadian bacon to ensure it is GF diet friendly.
- Quick and easy: You can cook Canadian bacon egg cups in the air fryer in under 15 minutes! It’s a great recipe for busy weekday mornings when you want a hot breakfast.
- Delicious: Canadian bacon is a tasty way to enjoy pork that the whole family will love.
🥘 Ingredients for Canadian Bacon Air Fryer Recipe
Here’s what you need for this Canadian bacon air fryer recipe:
- Canadian bacon slices
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking oil spray
Feel free to add herbs, spices, chopped bacon, chives, cheese, or your favorite seasonings. I am keeping the basic air fryer recipe simple so you can customize.
You can use Jones Canadian bacon, Trader Joe’s Canadian bacon, or your favorite brand. I’m using US Wellness Meats Sugar Free Canadian Pork Bacon. The only ingredients in this smoked Canadian bacon are pork and salt.
You’ll notice in the photos that this Canadian bacon isn’t bright pink like the kind in most stores. That is because it hasn’t been treated with pink curing salts.
When you see something labeled “uncured Canadian bacon” that generally means no nitrites or nitrates were added. The Canadian bacon has still been naturally cured by salt and smoking (and sometimes with celery powder). Truly uncured Canadian bacon would be slices of raw pork loin.
🔪 How to Cook Canadian Bacon (Air Fryer)
You need an air fryer and a metal muffin tin that fits in the air fryer for this recipe. I use a 10-Quart Kalorik Digital Air Fryer Oven.
You can use a Ninja Foodi, Philips, Nuwave, Pampered Chef, Actifry, Instant Pot Vortex, Cosori, Breville, or another air fryer instead to cook Canadian bacon cups. However, you’ll need to find a muffin tin that fits. Here are the tins I use.
Begin by spraying your muffin tin with cooking spray. Line each compartment with a single layer of Canadian bacon. I needed 2 slices each, but you may only need one slice.
If your Canadian bacon has a side with a thin layer of fat, place the fat side up in the compartment. Crack an egg in each Canadian bacon cup. Sprinkle on salt and pepper.
Preheat the air fryer to 300F (150C) for 5 minutes. Place the pan of Canadian bacon cups in the middle of the air fryer.
⏲️ Cooking Time and Temperature
How long to air fry Canadian bacon? What temperature for Canadian bacon in the air fryer?
Air fry Canadian bacon for a total of 12-14 minutes in an air fryer preheated to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150C). Check on the food after 10 minutes, in case your air fryer has a faster cooking time than most. There is more cook time inconsistency between different air fryer brands than there is with ovens.
The egg whites should be solid and opaque when this recipe is done. Allow the Canadian bacon egg cups to cool for 4 minutes before removing from the muffin tin. They should release easily.
Alternatively, you can air fry Canadian bacon slices by themselves for 2-3 minutes at 400F (200C). Use the top rack position if you have an air fryer oven.
❓ Does Canadian bacon get crispy?
Canadian bacon is not meant to get super crispy like regular bacon from the US. That said, Canadian bacon can be seared and achieve some browning, similar to ham steaks.
🌡️ Can you freeze Canadian bacon?
Canadian bacon freezes well, but Canadian bacon egg cups do not. Place Canadian bacon slices in a freezer bag with the air pressed out and you can store them in the freezer for months. You can reheat Canadian bacon in a microwave, skillet, or an air fryer.
You can store this air fryer Canadian bacon recipe in the fridge in a covered container for 1-2 days. Reheat your cooked and chilled leftovers in the microwave on a microwave safe plate on high for 30 seconds.
😋 What to eat with Canadian bacon?
Wondering how to eat Canadian bacon? I love this Canadian bacon recipe with fresh berries for a low carb breakfast. You can add this luscious lemon loaf if you want to get some delicious carbs on!
Here are other foods that go with Canadian bacon:
- Keto Crustless Quiche
- Frozen Waffles in Air Fryer
- Fried Eggs in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Frozen Hash Browns
- Air Fryer Banana Muffins
📋Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
One serving of air fryer Canadian bacon has 100 calories, 0 grams net carbs, and 11 grams protein. I recommend having 2-3 with your breakfast!
💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 1 recipe (may help support fat loss). Canadian bacon is a lean protein that often only has 30-50 calories per slice. When we add an egg, we get a protein-packed breakfast entrée that’s low in calories.
The most common American breakfast foods are typically high in carbs, sometimes high fat, and often low protein. This includes items like breakfast cereals (cold and hot), toast, waffles, pancakes, muffins, plus donuts and other pastries. When we start our morning with one of these options, we may find we’re hungry again in a couple of hours.
If you’d like a low-calorie breakfast that keeps you full until lunch, focus on lean protein plus fluid and fiber-filled fruits and veggies. Pairing three servings of this Canadian bacon recipe with 2 cups of berries is under 500 calories. It gives you plenty of protein, fiber, and food volume to help keep you full.
In most cases, I would consider Canadian bacon to be a better choice than regular American bacon. Canadian bacon is much higher in protein, and (by weight) it is lower in saturated fat.
Both Canadian bacon and regular American bacon count as highly processed meat products (AKA ultra-processed food). That said, it is possible to find Canadian bacon that is just meat and salt. Depending on where you live, you may have to order it online (I get minimally processed Canadian bacon here).
Canadian bacon is pre-cooked, and can be enjoyed like ham without cooking. However, IMVHO Canadian bacon is best when it is heated for a short time. Overcooking can dry this lean meat out.
For oven Canadian bacon, preheat the oven to 400F (200C). Place the Canadian bacon in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until done to your liking. Alternatively, you can broil Canadian bacon on high for 1-3 minutes.
For stovetop Canadian bacon, mist a cast iron with cooking spray. Heat the skillet, and add the Canadian bacon slices in a single layer. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes per side.
You can fry Canadian bacon in oil on the stovetop or a deep fryer. However, that kind of defeats the purpose of choosing this lean protein option. There are healthier ways to cook Canadian bacon, such as air frying.
For microwave Canadian bacon, place the slices in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate and cover with paper towels. Microwave for 30-60 seconds on high power. (Note: cooking times may vary depending on your microwave.)
Most Canadian bacon either has nitrites added or there are naturally occurring nitrites from celery powder. It’s harder to find a truly nitrate free Canadian bacon, but it’s possible to find some online.
👨🏾🍳 Other Air Fryer Recipes with Bacon
Looking for more air fryer recipes using chicken? Here are some ideas:
- Air Fryer Turkey Bacon
- Pork Belly Air Fryer Recipe (the ultimate uncured bacon!)
- Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Potato Skins
Don’t miss the entire collection of Air Fryer Recipes while you’re here!
Join our community! Subscribe for all of the latest and greatest recipes, and follow me on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube!
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be wildly inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
For more information on how the three recipe levels may help with a weight management goal, refer to my overnight oats no sugar post. Let's get cooking!
Air Fryer Canadian Bacon (Back Bacon or Peameal Bacon in Air Fryer)
- 4-8 slices Canadian bacon
- 4 large eggs
- cooking oil spray
- salt and pepper
- Spray a muffin tin that fits in your air fryer with cooking spray. Line four compartments of the tin with a single layer of Canadian bacon. I needed 2 slices each, but you may only need one slice.
- Crack an egg in each Canadian bacon cup. Sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Preheat the air fryer to 300°F (150°C) for 5 minutes. Place the pan of Canadian bacon cups in the middle of the air fryer.
- Air fry Canadian bacon for a total of 12-14 minutes at 300°F (150°C). Check on the food after 10 minutes, in case your air fryer has a faster cooking time than most.
- The egg whites should be solid and opaque when this recipe is done. Allow the Canadian bacon egg cups to cool for 4 minutes before removing from the muffin tin. They should release easily.
Leave a Comment