Is crustless quiche keto friendly? This low calorie high protein frittata definitely is! Choosing this keto crustless quiche recipe eliminates the refined grains and (most) added oils typical of quiche egg dishes. This move cuts calories and carbs, making this a protein-powered breakfast that supports weight loss goals. Make this frittata the night before, and you'll have a convenient, healthy breakfast ready for the whole family in the morning.
This sun-dried tomato frittata with baby kale features two kinds of cheese, savory veggies, and choline-rich eggs. It truly puts vitamin-sprayed sugary breakfast cereals to shame. If you were a fan of the Smoked Cheese Frittata with Brown Butter Shrimp, today's recipe should also be a winner for you.
Eggs and unsweetened oatmeal are two mainstays of my morning meals. Doing some minor meal prep the night before goes a long way in helping me get a healthy breakfast. This dish comes together very quickly; the most difficult part is chopping and cooking the onion.
Most people are not getting the recommended amount of vegetables into their diet. Breakfast can be a particularly challenging meal for many. Why not add this recipe to your repertoire and start your day off right?
By the way, this recipe is for the people who like a lot of cheese with their eggs. (That would be just about everyone in my family!) I swear that some over here only think of eggs as a vehicle to eat more cheese. Hahaha
I went with Gruyere and fontina here. The Gruyere is a classic option for quiche, while the fontina is one of my favorite melty cheeses. What you get with this combination is the perfect cheesy frittata flavor along with some lovely oozy, melting cheese goodness. So much YUM!
What are the benefits of making Keto Crustless Quiche?
Why make keto crustless vegetable quiche when we could just pour a bowl of cereal and milk? Here are a few reasons:
- My homemade frittata helps get the ultra-processed foods out of your morning meal. Have you read my article on ultra-processed foods yet? These are items like sugary cereals, breakfast pastries, and so on that many of us tend to overeat. If you want to maintain a healthier weight, starting your day with nutrient rich whole foods is the way to go.
- It's a vegetarian and gluten free breakfast idea. Low carb diets have become rather famous for their overall permissive attitude towards bacon. Hey, I like bacon as much as the next person, but that doesn't mean I try to shove it in every meal. This frittata without bacon manages to be keto friendly and a great option for vegetarian and gluten free diets.
- This is a high protein, low carb frittata. This may be a vegetarian breakfast, but that does not mean we sacrificed the protein! Eggs and cheese provide plenty of high quality protein to help start your morning off right.
- It's an easy way to pack some vegetables into your morning. This veggie frittata has tomatoes, onions, and kale. It's a great way to get some veggies into a meal where most of us fall short.
- Busy? This works well as a breakfast meal prep. Make this healthy oven baked frittata the night before, and it will be ready for you on busy weekday mornings. I'm all about delicious and easy breakfast recipes!
- Don't forget that it is super delicious! Blahbity blah, healthy eating and convenience. Sometimes we just want to eat things that taste great, and this definitely fits the bill.
Keto Crustless Quiche Ingredients
Here is what you need to make high protein frittata. We're working with under 10 items here, so you won't need to spend a lot of time shopping for this one:
- Large eggs
- Shredded fontina cheese
- Grated Gruyere cheese
- Olive oil
- Chopped onion
- Sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (they will need to be drained and julienned)
- Baby kale
- Cooking oil spray
- Optional side dishes (fresh fruit, whole grain toast, etc.)
This high protein frittata breakfast contains no milk. If you have limited lactose intolerance, you may be able to tolerate certain types of cheese (particularly aged, hard cheeses). In other words, this recipe may work for some people with lactose intolerance.
Gruyere tends to be a lower lactose choice than fontina. Feel free to switch up the cheeses I used here if other options provide a more comfortable digestive experience for you.
If you choose a jar of sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil, you can use the olive oil in this recipe. Often this oil has been infused with herbs, adding another layer of delicious flavor to your dish. If you usually discard the oil the tomatoes are packed in, using it will save you a bit of money.
Here are the main pieces of kitchen equipment that you need for this recipe (aside from an oven!):
- A good knife
- Cast iron skillet
- Glass pie plate (9.5-10 inches in diameter)
Once you round up those things, you are ready to get going with the recipe. Believe it or not, it won't be long before a cheesy, hot keto frittata is yours. Woohoo!
How to Make Keto Crustless Quiche
This crustless keto quiche recipe is pretty easy with minimal prep time, I promise! Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mist a 9.5 inch pie plate with cooking spray.
Put some olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the chopped onion in the skillet until softened, stirring frequently. It will take 8-10 minutes. You are not trying to brown the onions.
When the onions are almost finished cooking, add all of the baby kale to the pan. It will look like way too much kale, but it will shrink as it cooks, as leafy greens tend to do. Put a lid on the skillet and steam until the kale is wilted, stirring occasionally.
In a medium mixing bowl, thoroughly combine the cheeses, eggs, tomatoes, and cooked kale mixture. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared pie plate and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
Bake for 30 minutes until the eggs have become firm, and the cheeses are slightly browned. Let the frittata cool slightly before cutting and serving.
While this high protein frittata cooks, you can prepare any side dishes you will have with the meal. Wash and chop your fruits and/or make your toast. That's all there is to this recipe!
Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 1 recipe (may help support fat loss). If you have higher energy needs, either enjoy a second helping or add some whole grain toast on the side. Feel free to change up the flavor profile by substituting the fontina and Gruyere here with your favorite cheeses. It won't make much of a difference nutrition and calorie-wise but consider using jalapeno cheese for some added kick!
If you have a weight loss goal, crustless quiche (i.e., frittata) is the way to go. The crust of the quiche typically adds a lot of calories from added fat and refined grains but few essential nutrients. You will dramatically lower your breakfast calories and carbs while keeping the meal components that provide lasting satiety when you skip the crust.
I typically serve high protein frittatas with fruit to add another food group to the meal for few calories. The fruit also helps to provide a broader range of nutrients (and, of course, fresh fruit is delicious).
I chose blueberries and fresh pineapple this time. If you follow a very low carb diet, you can choose keto low carb fruit such as strawberries, blackberries, or raspberries. Aim for a variety of colors for more phytonutrients (and a prettier plate).
What are some other ways to use eggs?
Rich in choline, lutein, protein, and so much more, eggs are nature's convenience food! They are inexpensive, versatile, and extremely delicious. Here are some other tasty recipes using eggs (some of these are keto recipes):
- Cloud Bread with Greek Yogurt (Keto-Friendly Recipe!)
- Easiest Deviled Eggs with Chipotle Lime Mayo
- Chipotle Lime Mayo Recipe – Food Safe!
- Gluten Free Toast made with Sweet Potatoes
- Homemade Egg Salad Meal Prep
- Savory Oats Recipe – Simple and Delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long will a vegetable frittata stay edible if it is stored in the fridge after cooking?
As with most leftovers, your veggie frittata will be good for approximately 3-4 days in the fridge. Any frittata that you know won't be finished in that time frame should be frozen.
Can you freeze frittata?
Most frittatas, including this one, do freeze well. An exception would be if the frittata contains ingredients that do not freeze well (such as white potatoes).
I like to cut the frittata into slices and place the individual pieces into separate food-safe containers before freezing. This makes it easy to retrieve and heat a single serving when I want it, without reheating the whole thing.
Can you reheat frittata?
Yes, you can reheat frittata! The easiest way is to place the slice on a microwave-safe plate and microwave it for 1-2 minutes.
Are frittatas good for weight loss?
Packed with high quality protein and high volume, low calorie veggies, I would consider most frittatas and crustless quiches good for weight loss. As I've mentioned many times on the site before, protein, fiber, and fluid are dietary components that help to keep you full on fewer calories. This high protein frittata recipe is rich in all three of these things.
What are some other ingredients to use in keto crustless quiche?
You truly have endless possibilities for breakfast with all of the delicious combinations for keto quiche out there! What follows are some of my favorite easy keto diet quiche additions. There are many other vegetables, cheeses, and meats you could add that I did not list here!
- Fresh spinach
- Zucchini or summer squash
- Collard greens
- Feta cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Sausage (chorizo, fennel sausage, or this homemade sausage would all be scrumptious!)
- Bacon (make your own keto crustless quiche Lorraine by adding a little heavy whipping cream and Gruyere cheese)
- Smoked salmon
- Ham and cheese
How do I make this high protein frittata even higher in protein?
Increasing the protein density of a recipe means you are increasing the protein provided per calorie. Here are a few tips for making frittatas higher in protein density:
- Use a combination of egg whites and whole eggs (or just use the egg whites)
- Swap whole milk cheeses for low fat cheese
- Add additional sources of lean protein to the frittata, such as cooked and shredded chicken breast or chopped shrimp
More High Protein Breakfast Recipes That You May Enjoy
Are you looking to pack more protein into your mornings? Here are some other breakfast recipes with high protein that you might want to check out next:
- Cauliflower Hash Brown Egg Cups with Cheese
- Cooking Pork Sausage with Eggs
- Breakfast Frittata for One (Mini Frittatas Recipe!)
- Baked Protein Oatmeal (with a Secret Ingredient!)
- Proats Recipe: Egg White Oatmeal
And now for the disclaimer…
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
"Keto" recipes on the web may not be appropriate for those using ketogenic diets as part of their medical nutrition therapy. That includes this recipe.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be wildly inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
For more information on how the three recipe levels may help with a weight management goal, refer to my overnight oats with yogurt post. Let's get cooking!
Keto Crustless Quiche | High Protein Frittata Recipe
- 6 large eggs (beaten)
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained (julienned)
- 5 ounces baby kale
- cooking oil spray of choice
- fresh fruit and/or whole grain toast (for optional side dishes)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mist a 9½"-10" pie plate with the cooking oil spray.
- Use a cast iron skillet to cook the chopped onion in the olive oil over medium heat until softened, 8-10 minutes. Stir frequently to help keep the onion from browning.
- Towards the end of cooking the onion, add the baby kale. Put a lid on the pan and steam until the kale is wilted, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium mixing bowl, thoroughly combine the cheeses, eggs, tomatoes, and cooked kale mixture. Pour into the prepared pie plate and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the oven until the eggs have become firm and the cheeses are slightly browned. Let the frittata cool slightly before cutting and serving.
- While your frittata cooks, you can prepare any side dishes you will have with the meal. Wash and chop your fruits and/or make your toast. That's all there is to this recipe!
This is a level 1 recipe (may help support fat loss). If you have higher energy needs, either enjoy a second helping or add some whole grain toast on the side. Feel free to change up the flavor profile by substituting the fontina and Gruyere here with your favorite cheeses. It won't make much of a difference nutrition and calorie-wise but consider using jalapeno cheese for some added kick! If you have a weight loss goal, crustless quiche (i.e., frittata) is the way to go. The crust of the quiche typically adds a lot of calories from added fat and refined grains but few essential nutrients. You will dramatically lower your breakfast calories and carbs while keeping the meal components that provide lasting satiety when you skip the crust. I typically serve high protein frittatas with fruit to add another food group to the meal for few calories. The fruit also helps to provide a broader range of nutrients (and, of course, fresh fruit is delicious). I chose blueberries and fresh pineapple this time. If you want to keep this a low carb recipe, you can choose keto friendly fruit such as strawberries, blackberries, or raspberries. Aim for a variety of colors for more phytonutrients (and a prettier low carb breakfast). Nutrition information is for one serving of the recipe. Carbohydrates listed are net carbs (total carbs minus fiber). Optional side dishes are not included in the nutrition information.