Can you air fry sea bass (AKA branzino)? Absolutely! Learning to cook sea bass in an air fryer is easy! This air fryer sea bass recipe is gluten free, low carb, and keto, so it fits a variety of special diets. Get tips on how long to cook sea bass in air fryer, air fryer branzino seasonings, and more! This recipe is for fresh air fried sea bass fillets or air fryer frozen sea bass.
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy air fryer fish recipe, these air fryer sea bass fillets have got your number. I’m making air fried branzino (European sea bass), but other types of sea bass may be used. It’s the weight and thickness of the fillets that determines the air fryer cooking time.
Here are some of the types of sea bass you may see in stores:
- Black sea bass
- Striped bass
- European sea bass (branzino)
- Chilean sea bass (Patagonian toothfish)
- White sea bass
You can make air fryer Chilean sea bass, but this type of fish is not technically a true sea bass. Neither is white sea bass. (That said, don’t let this information stop you from making Chilean sea bass in air fryer if that’s what you want.)
Sea bass has a mild taste and a moderate texture (somewhere between a delicate and firm fish). You can bake, deep fry, steam, poach, or air fry sea bass. I have directions for the best ways to cook sea bass below!
- ⭐ Air Fryer Sea Bass Benefits
- 🥘 Air Fryer Sea Bass Ingredients
- 🧂 Seasoning for Sea Bass
- 🔪 How to Make Sea Bass (Air Fryer)
- ⏲️ Sea Bass Air Fryer Time and Temp
- 🥶 Frozen Sea Bass in Air Fryer Directions
- ❓️ What is the internal temperature for sea bass?
- 🔥 Sea Bass Oven Directions
- 💥 Broiled Sea Bass
- 🐟 Pan Fried Sea Bass
- 🌡️ How to Reheat Sea Bass
- 🥗 Sea Bass Side Dishes
- 📋Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
- 💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- 👨🏾🍳 More Fish Air Fryer Recipes
- The Disclaimer…
- 📖 Recipe
⭐ Air Fryer Sea Bass Benefits
Why make sea bass in an air fryer? Here are a few benefits of this recipe:
- Low calorie: Sea bass, like other white fish, is a low calorie lean protein. At only 110 calories per 4 ounces (112 grams), it’s a filling and healthy meal to help you with a weight loss goal.
- Low carb: Sea bass with no breading is also compatible with a variety of special diets. This sea bass fish recipe is gluten free, low carb, and keto.
- Vitamin D: There are very few natural food sources of vitamin D, but sea bass is one of them. You get 30% DV vitamin D per 4 ounces (112 grams) of sea bass.
- Fast: You can air fry sea bass in only 5-6 minutes! This main dish takes under 10 minutes to prep and cook.
- Delicious: Air fryer bass is a tasty way to help you meet the recommended two servings of seafood per week. It’s pretty mild in flavor, so picky eaters may enjoy it too. This flaky fish is perfect for both special occasions and busy weeknight meals.
🥘 Air Fryer Sea Bass Ingredients
Here’s your shopping list for sea bass in the air fryer:
- Sea bass filet
- Olive oil
- Garlic clove (minced)
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon zest, lemon juice, and parsley (for serving)
- Cooking spray
Specific quantities of ingredients are located in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
Use a piece of sea bass for this recipe that is skin on, boneless, and that is uniformly thick. The piece of sea bass I used is ¼-inch (0.6 cm) and was previously frozen. If your fish fillet is thin on the edges, the edges may overcook before the middle of the fish is done.
I’m keeping the seasoning simple, but I have plenty of ideas for flavoring sea bass below. Sea bass is one of the more expensive fish options. I didn’t want to cover the flavor of this special food too much.
Use a non-aerosol cooking oil spray with your air fryer. Aerosol cooking sprays can damage the finish on some air fryer baskets.
I tested this recipe with a 10-Quart Kalorik Digital Air Fryer Oven. You can make air fryer sea bass in a Ninja Foodi, Philips, Nuwave, Pampered Chef, Actifry, Instant Pot Vortex, Cosori, Breville, or another air fryer.
Cooking times may need to be adjusted depending on the air fryer you use. Always check the food early the first time you try any new air fryer recipe.
You should also have an instant read thermometer on hand to check the sea bass for doneness. A silicone pastry brush is handy for brushing oil on the fish.
🧂 Seasoning for Sea Bass
There are so many ways to season sea bass! Here are some ideas for seasoning sea bass:
- Blackened seasoning (Cajun spice)
- Ginger paste
- Lemon pepper
- Soy sauce
- Maple syrup
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- Make a dry rub with chili powder
- Add butter sauce after cooking
Major changes to the recipe can impact the air fryer time. Added sugars in particular (e.g., honey) can change the way the fish cooks.
🔪 How to Make Sea Bass (Air Fryer)
Time to learn how to air fry sea bass! Spray your air fryer basket or tray with cooking spray. Place the sea bass skin side down on the tray.
Brush the sea bass with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic, salt, and pepper. If you have an air fryer oven, place the tray in the top rack position (closest to the heating element).
⏲️ Sea Bass Air Fryer Time and Temp
How long to air fry sea bass? What's the air fryer sea bass temperature? Air fry sea bass for a total of 5-6 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200C).
There is no need to preheat the air fryer and no need to flip the fish. Be sure to check the fish often towards the end of cooking. White fish overcooks easily in general, and the risk is even higher in an air fryer.
After air frying, check the sea bass with a meat thermometer to ensure it is 145F (63C). Add more cooking time if needed.
Sprinkle air fried sea bass with lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, and chopped Italian parsley. Enjoy!
🥶 Frozen Sea Bass in Air Fryer Directions
Frozen sea bass can be thawed in the fridge for 24-48 hours. If there’s no time to defrost it, you can air fry frozen sea bass. It only takes a few extra minutes!
Place the frozen sea bass fillet (unseasoned) on an air fryer tray and air fry for 3 minutes at 400F (200C). This defrosts the fish, so you can then treat it like fresh sea bass in the recipe above. (In other words, oil and season the fish and air fry for 5-6 minutes more at 400F.)
❓️ What is the internal temperature for sea bass?
The minimum safe internal temp for sea bass is 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63C). Sea bass that is fully cooked is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
🔥 Sea Bass Oven Directions
To bake sea bass, preheat the oven to 425F (218C). Place the sea bass skin side down in a baking dish that’s coated with oil. Season the sea bass as desired.
Bake the fish for 6-10 minutes per inch of thickness (2.54 cm). When done, the fish fillets will be at the safe temp and flake easily with a fork. Sea bass that is fully cooked is opaque.
💥 Broiled Sea Bass
To broil sea bass, preheat the broiler and season the sea bass as desired. Place the sea bass in a pan 4-5 inches from the heat (10-12.7 cm). Broil for 8-10 minutes per inch of thickness (2.54 cm) until fish is done.
🐟 Pan Fried Sea Bass
Heat oil in a skillet on the stovetop to 350F (177C). Fry a single layer of sea bass fish fillets until they’re golden brown and flake easily. Drain fish on paper towels and serve.
🌡️ How to Reheat Sea Bass
This recipe makes a single serving and is best prepared and enjoyed fresh. You can keep cooked sea bass in a covered airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days. Leftovers can be reheated in the air fryer or the microwave.
The packaging of my frozen sea bass says you should not refreeze it. I imagine the texture of the fish may become mushy if repeatedly frozen and thawed.
🥗 Sea Bass Side Dishes
What goes with sea bass? The last time I made this recipe, I served it with Parmesan broccoli, wild rice, and lemon wedges. Here are some other side dishes for sea bass:
- Costco Cauliflower Rice
- Potatoes from a Can
- Frozen Green Beans in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Frozen Zucchini
📋Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
One serving of air fryer sea bass has 175 calories, 1 gram net carbs, and 21.2 grams protein. This is for a 4-ounce (112 gram) portion.
💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 1 recipe (may help support fat loss). Sea bass is a white fish, which means that it is a lean protein. The advantage of white fish is that they are lower in calories and fat than oily fish (such as salmon). The disadvantage is that white fish also tends to be lower in the healthy omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA.
Some types of sea bass are sustainable choices and others are not. It depends on how the seabass is farmed or harvested. If you are interested in sustainability, use the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch List to make sustainable seafood choices.
Chilean sea bass, black sea bass, and other sea bass types are among the best and good choices for mercury (FDA). If you’re looking for a low mercury, heart healthy fish that fits the Mediterranean diet, sea bass is a great option.
To make your sea bass meal more flavorful, don’t forget to add some seasonings. Even a simple squeeze of lemon and some salt and pepper can make fish more enjoyable. Leaving the skin on fish leaves it more moist and flavorful, and also preserves the healthy fat.
To make air fryer breaded sea bass, swap the sea bass for halibut in my air fryer halibut recipe. Make sure the fish fillets are about ½-inch thick (1.27 cm), and the cooking time should be similar.
You can also make a whole sea bass in the air fryer! Here is an easy air fryer recipe for air fryer whole fish that you can use.
Mahi-mahi, grouper, and red snapper are some of the best Chilean sea bass substitutes. If you match the fish fillet thickness mentioned in the recipe, you shouldn’t have to make major adjustments to the cooking time.
Sea bass tends to be expensive, and it can be difficult to find in stores. You can get sea bass online at Whole Foods through Amazon here. At the time of writing, previously frozen Chilean sea bass fillet costs $31.99 per pound. I was able to find it for much less at Super Walmart.
👨🏾🍳 More Fish Air Fryer Recipes
Enjoyed the sea bass recipes air fryer ideas and want more? Here are some other fish recipes for the air fryer:
- Air Fryer Tuna Steak
- Frozen Cod in Air Fryer
- Frozen Salmon in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Tilapia
- Breaded Fish in Air Fryer
You might also want to check out our entire collection of Air Fryer Recipes while you’re here!
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be wildly inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
For more information on how the three recipe levels may help with a weight management goal, refer to my overnight oats no sugar post. Let's get cooking!
Air Fryer Sea Bass Recipe (How Long to Air Fry Branzino)
For Air Fryer Fresh Sea Bass:
- Spray the air fryer basket or tray with cooking spray. Place the sea bass skin side down on the tray.
- Brush the sea bass with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic, salt, and pepper. If you have an air fryer oven, place the tray in the top rack position (closest to the heating element).
- Air fry for 5-6 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
- After air frying, check the sea bass with an instant read meat thermometer to ensure it is 145°F (63°C). Add more cooking time if needed.
- Garnish air fried sea bass with lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, and chopped Italian parsley. Enjoy!
For Air Fryer Frozen Sea Bass:
- To defrost: Place the frozen sea bass fillet (unseasoned) on an air fryer tray and air fry for 3 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
- After defrosting, follow the air fryer directions for fresh sea bass above.
- Tip: The thin edges of the fish are more likely to dry out when cooking from frozen. It's best to cook sea bass from fresh, if possible.