Can you cook frozen chicken patties in air fryer? You bet! Learn how long to cook frozen chicken patties in the air fryer, what temp to air fry, and more. You’ll love how easy it is to air fry Tyson chicken patties, and all your favorite brands. You can use your air fryer frozen chicken patties to top salad or as breaded chicken burgers.
A while back, I posted a homemade chicken patties in air fryer recipe. If you want a chicken patty, I’d consider them a better-for-you option.
That said, I get that there’s a lot of reasons to make uncooked frozen chicken patties in the air fryer instead. They require no menu planning, the upfront costs are lower, and a lot of folks like these. There are a lot more factors than “health” going into why we choose the foods we do.
So today we’re covering how to cook frozen chicken patties. I really think the best way to cook them is the air fryer. I also have stovetop and oven directions below for those who haven’t hopped on the air frying train yet.
Breaded chicken patties remind me of school lunches from my childhood. Unfortunately, the breaded chicken sandwiches served at school were always a bit on the soggy side. With my air fried frozen chicken patty recipe, this childhood favorite just got an upgrade.
Air frying is a great way to prevent soggy chicken patties. When you load them up with your favorite toppings, they make an easy weeknight meal. Crispy chicken patties with gooey, melty cheese are what’s cooking tonight!
- 📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
- ⭐ Benefits
- 🥘 Ingredients
- 🍽 Equipment
- 🔪 How to Make Frozen Chicken Patties in Air Fryer
- ️⏲ Cooking Time and Temperature
- 🌡️ How to Reheat
- 🍔 Toppings
- 🥗 How to Serve
- 💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- 👩🏻🍳 More Frozen Chicken Air Fryer Recipes
- The Disclaimer…
- 📖 Recipe
- Oven Directions
- Stovetop Directions
📋 Calories, Net Carbs, Protein
One frozen chicken patty in the air fryer has 200 calories, 9 grams net carbs, and 19 grams protein. This nutrition information is for Bell & Evans breaded chicken patties. Nutrition information will vary depending on the brand of frozen chicken patties you use.
What are the best frozen chicken patties? The answer to this question depends on what you’re looking for! Here is the nutrition info for some popular frozen chicken patties with breading:
|Brand||Size (oz)||Calories||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|Tyson Chicken Patties||2.68||200||10||9|
|Tyson Spicy Chicken Patties||2.68||200||10||10|
|Bell & Evans Chicken Patties (breaded)||4||240||10||19|
|Bell & Evans Chicken Burgers (no breading)||4||160||3||21|
|Banquet Chicken Patties||2.4||160||11||9|
|Good & Gather Chicken Patties||2.57||180||11||10|
|MorningStar Chik Patties (vegan)||2.5||160||14||9|
The MorningStar Farms vegetarian “chicken” patties have comparable calories and protein to many of their poultry counterparts. Many brands of chicken patties are not very protein dense (low protein per calorie) for protein group foods. It would be a good idea to add additional protein to your meal if you choose one of these patties.
What are the benefits of making air fryer frozen chicken patties? Honestly, there are more nutritious ways to get a serving of chicken. That said, here are some reasons to love this air fryer recipe:
- No added oil: Chicken patty breading already tends to contain a lot of oil, so there’s no need to add more. All you need is the chicken patties to make this recipe.
- One ingredient: This was covered in the previous point, but deserves mentioning again. You don’t need to meal plan or make a grocery list for frozen chicken patties. You can literally walk into a store, buy a box, and you’re good to go.
- No thawing: I always forget to defrost food in time! (Ugh, frustrating!) Luckily, you’re supposed to air fry chicken patties frozen, so no defrosting is needed.
- Fast: It takes about 16-17 minutes to air fry frozen chicken patties. Oven baking frozen chicken patties takes 25-30 minutes after you’ve preheated the oven. Air frying saves time!
- Easy clean up: My air fryer trays are awesome because (almost) nothing sticks to them. All I have to do is wash off the small air fryer tray. No scrubbing necessary!
- Healthier than take-out: Depending on how you put together your meal, you can make something more nutritious than McDonald’s McChicken Sandwich or Popeye’s chicken sandwich. To beat out McDonald’s chicken sandwich, consider making a salad with your chicken patty rather than serving it in a bun.
- Family friendly: It sucks when you make a healthy meal and your kids don’t eat it. (Been there!) You’re playing it safe with chicken patties, since most picky eaters will readily accept them.
You only need the chicken patties to air fry chicken patties from frozen. I used four Bell & Evans Breaded Chicken Patties, which (IMVHO) is one of the best frozen chicken patties. They have more protein than a lot of other frozen chicken patties.
These chicken patties are 4 ounces (113 grams) each, and about ½-inch (1.27 cm) thick. If you use thicker or thinner chicken patties, you may need to adjust the air fryer time. Many popular brands of chicken patties are a little smaller, so your cooking time will be a few minutes less.
Most of us don’t eat chicken patties alone. Here’s what I used with mine. Feel free to use these or some of the other toppings I suggest in the “Toppings” section below:
- Hamburger buns (get nice burger buns from the bakery)
- Sliced tomato
- Cheese (I used Colby Jack slices)
- Lettuce (I used green leaf lettuce)
- Sliced red onion
To make frozen chicken patties in an air fryer, you need an air fryer and a meat thermometer. If you air fry a lot of frozen foods, it’s critical to use a meat thermometer to ensure they’re cooked properly.
I use a large-capacity 10-Quart Kalorik Air Fryer Oven. If you have a small air fryer basket or tray, you may need to cook frozen chicken patties in multiple batches.
The Ninja Foodi, Cosori, Philips, Instant Vortex, Cuisinart, Pampered Chef Air Fryer, Actifry, Nuwave, Power Air Fryer, etc. can make frozen chicken patties. Cooking times may need to be adjusted slightly depending on the air fryer you use.
🔪 How to Make Frozen Chicken Patties in Air Fryer
To make air fried frozen chicken patties, simply place the frozen patties on an air fryer tray. Put them in a single layer; don’t stack them in the air fryer. You want the air to freely circulate so the chicken patties crisp up on all sides.
If you have an air fryer oven, put the tray with the frozen chicken burgers in the top rack position. You don’t have to preheat the air fryer for this one!
️⏲ Cooking Time and Temperature
How long to do you cook chicken patty in air fryer? What temperature do you air fry chicken patties? Air fry frozen chicken patties at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200C) for 16-17 minutes total. (Remember: this is for ½-inch (1.27 cm) thick 4-ounce (113 gram) frozen chicken patties.)
Start by air frying the chicken patties for 5 minutes. Then flip them and air fry 9 more minutes. Flip again and air fry 2 minutes.
Now check the internal temperature of the chicken patties with a meat thermometer. They should be at least 165F (74C). If they haven’t reached a safe temp, you can add a couple minutes to the cooking time.
You can add cheese after they’ve reached a safe temp. Flip them, put a slice of cheese on each patty and air fry for 1 minute at 400F (200C). Again, you should use the top rack for air fryer ovens.
Many frozen chicken patties are NOT precooked (not fully, anyway). Chicken patties are typically flash fried to set the breading (that’s why they’re golden brown). However, the chicken is often still raw underneath.
At the time of this writing Bell & Evans Chicken Patties are not fully cooked. Tyson chicken patties are fully cooked.
The misconception that all chicken patties and chicken nuggets are fully cooked is rampant on the web. The only way you can be assured that this is true is if the packaging says so. Otherwise, you should make sure to cook the poultry to a minimum safe internal temp of 165F (74C).
Hamburger buns can be toasted in the air fryer. Put them cut-side up in an air fryer preheated to 400F (200C) for 2 minutes. (Top rack for air fryer ovens.)
🌡️ How to Reheat
Leftover air fried frozen chicken patties that have been previously cooked can be reheated in the air fryer. Leftover chicken patties in the microwave can be soggy. When you air fry leftover chicken patties, they crisp right back up!
Reheat cooked chicken patties in the air fryer (without cheese) at 350F (175C) for 3-4 minutes. Use the top rack of the air fryer oven.
You’re just looking to warm them through. Add cheese (as desired) after reheating.
If you don’t like the chicken patty toppings I’m using, you have lots of options! Here are some other ideas for topping chicken patties:
- Romaine lettuce
- Iceberg lettuce
- Sharp cheddar cheese (melts well)
- Pickle slices
- Pickled jalapenos
- Ranch dressing
- BBQ sauce
- Caramelized onions
🥗 How to Serve
What to serve with air fryer frozen chicken patties? You’ll more veggies (and possibly more protein) to make this a full meal. You can use veggies leftover from topping your chicken burgers to make a big side salad.
Here are some other suggestions for what goes with frozen chicken patties made in the air fryer:
💭 Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This is a level 3 recipe (weight maintenance and active lifestyles). Frozen chicken patties are what dietitians call an ultra-processed food. They usually contain a lot of refined grains and added oils. This makes them extra tasty, but also bumps the calories and net carbs up much higher than plain chicken breast.
Even though chicken patties are thought of as a protein group food, many brands actually have more carbs than protein!
As you can see in the table above, Bell & Evans sells breaded chicken patties and no breading chicken burgers. If you choose chicken burgers without breading, you save 80 calories and 7 grams of net carbs per 4-ounce patty. It may seem like a small difference, but it can really add up if you’re consistently choosing one or the other.
I’m showing these chicken patties with fluffy brioche buns and loaded with all the toppings. I do this mainly for aesthetics, as this is how people like to see chicken patties.
I’m much more likely to slice chicken patties and use them to top a veggie-packed salad in my day-to-day life. In truth, I rarely eat chicken patties from the store at all. I usually stick with plain chicken that I season myself.
Per Cronometer, 4-ounces (113 grams) of raw skinless chicken breast provides 136 calories and 25.5 grams of filling protein. Choosing a 4-ounce Bell & Evans breaded chicken patty instead adds about 100 calories and decreases protein by 6-7 grams.
Then, folks often add even more white flour to their chicken patty meal by adding a bun. If you’re trying to lose weight, how you compose your meals matters.
Making choices that give you more nutritious and filling food for fewer calories can make maintaining a calorie deficit for weight loss easier.
Most frozen chicken patties have a white flour breading and are not gluten free. There are several popular brands making gluten free frozen chicken patties with breading, such as Bell & Evans. Unfortunately, they may be difficult to find in stores.
Your best bet for keto frozen chicken patties is to choose one with no breading. Often these are sold under the name “chicken burgers,” such as the Bell & Evans Chicken Burgers. A benefit of these products is that they often contain more protein and no refined grains.
You can pan fry frozen chicken patties as well. Put about ⅛-inch (0.3 cm) in a skillet and heat over medium heat. Cook the patties for a total of 10 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time (i.e., after 5 minutes). Use a meat thermometer to ensure the safe internal temp was reached.
As mentioned above, some frozen chicken patties are cooked and some are uncooked. The only way to know for sure is to check the packaging of the product you bought. If you’re unsure whether you have a fully cooked product, I recommend cooking the chicken patties to an internal temp of 165F (74C) to be safe.
👩🏻🍳 More Frozen Chicken Air Fryer Recipes
Want more air fryer recipes using frozen chicken? You may enjoy trying these next:
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Strips
- Keto Buffalo Wings (Frozen Chicken Wings in the Air Fryer)
Also, don’t miss my post on the Best Frozen Foods for the Air Fryer!
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for you, depending on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult with a registered dietitian or your physician if you need help determining the dietary pattern that may be best for you.
The nutrition information is an estimate provided as a courtesy. It will differ depending on the specific brands and ingredients that you use. Calorie information on food labels may be wildly inaccurate, so please don't sweat the numbers too much.
For more information on how the three recipe levels may help with a weight management goal, refer to my overnight oats no sugar post. Let's get cooking!
Frozen Chicken Patties in Air Fryer
- 4 frozen chicken patties 4 ounces each (113 grams)
- 4 slices cheese
- 4 burger buns
- burger toppings of choice
- Note: This recipe is for ½-inch (1.27 cm) thick frozen breaded chicken patties that are uncooked. Cook longer for thicker patties, and less time for thinner patties. Precooked patties will also take less time. Tyson recommends air frying their cooked chicken patties for 10 minutes at 360°F (182°C).
- Place chicken patties in a single layer in your air fryer basket or tray. Put tray in top rack position if using an air fryer oven.
- Air fry for 5 minutes at 400°F (200°C). Flip the patties and air fry 9 more minutes. Flip the patties once more and air fry 2 minutes. (16 minutes total cooking time)
- Check the chicken patties with a meat thermometer to ensure they've reached the safe internal temperature for poultry of 165°F (74°C). Add cooking time if needed.
- If you'd like chicken patties with cheese, place a cheese slice on each chicken patty. Air fry 1 minute (top rack) at 400°F (200°C).
- You can toast buns in an air fryer preheated to 400°F (200°C) for 2 minutes. Put them in cut-side up! Enjoy!